• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Automatic Updating

leimst

Hello,

I have a source sheet with data. I would like to create a new sheet that would utilize certain columns from the source file and I would like this new sheet to update automatically as new entries are made on the source sheet. Is there an easy way to do this? I have attached an example where Name, Address, City, and State are on the source file and I would like just the Name and State to be populated on the New tab and automatically update as additional records are added to the Source tab.

Thank you for any assistance,

leimst

Attachments

• Names and Addresses.xlsx
    11.5 KB · Views: 6
bobhc,

I'm afraid I'm not seeing how this works? I see that you have added entries to the Source tab and that they are reflected on the New tab but when I add more records to the Source tab the New tab is not updating?

Thanks,

leimst

Help! Can anyone explain to me how Bob accomplished this? I guess I was expecting to see an Offset, or Index formula perhaps but I'm not seeing any formulas or macros. I wanted to add records to the Source tab and have the New tab update automatically. Is this possible?

Again, thanks for any help.

leimst

The simple way please see the file attach, Im givin INDEX with 500 rows coverage, if your data beyond that, just extend as necessary

Cheers

Attachments

• Names and Addresses.xlsx
    12.9 KB · Views: 6
@bobhc: That's smart. I am always doing Index + Match for almost everything, but sometimes a simple cell reference will do it.

@leimst: You have to copy down so the new entries will be seen on the other sheet. bobhc used cell reference. For e. g. you have in your "New" sheet in cell A21 the Cell reference of "Source!A21". Source! stands for the sheet name A21 for the cell in that sheet. If you change anything in the "Source" sheet in Cell A21, it will automatically shown in the "New" sheet.

I am newbie to excel so sorry, if the explanation is not clear enough. Still hope that I could help a bit.

Mahir, thank you for your explanation. I now see why I did not understand. I asked for the update on the New tab to be "automatic"...no manual intervention. Consequently, bobhc's solution will not work.

To get the data to update you must enter the new data or change existing, excel cannot auto update until there is something to update, that's what the cell reference does, if you alter the data on the source sheet then it will auto update the new sheet.

Back