• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Help with numbering rows

ser2014

I am stuck on trying to figure out how to number rows sequentially based off the data in another column. My report contains a column of invoice numbers, and each invoice could have multiple rows of data that correspond to the same invoice number, and each invoice needs to have its own control number. In my example I have manually changed the control numbers to the way I want them to display, but the original file has the control number as 1 for each invoice. I am not experienced in using formulas, so any help is greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• invoice control numbers.xlsx
    8 KB · Views: 6
Take another look at your sheet and then pose your question again, using the terms on your column headings in your question - its difficult to discern which number you mean by "Invoice Number" etc - one of these numbers we would expect to be unique, and possibly more, but that is not apparent from your example.

I doubt your request is that tricky - you have not received a reply as its not clear what you're looking for, that's all ..

Hi ,

See your file ; the formula is in column D.

However , please note that the formula will give the wrong results when rows are inserted , and error values when rows are deleted. So after either of these operations , you will have to copy the formula down the entire column once more.

Narayan

Attachments

• invoice control numbers.xlsx
    8.7 KB · Views: 9
Take another look at your sheet and then pose your question again, using the terms on your column headings in your question - its difficult to discern which number you mean by "Invoice Number" etc - one of these numbers we would expect to be unique, and possibly more, but that is not apparent from your example.

I doubt your request is that tricky - you have not received a reply as its not clear what you're looking for, that's all ..

I can see how my original post was not very clear. Column B is the invoice number (trans number), which will already be generated on my report. Column A needs to be a control number to "group" the invoices together. When the report is generated the control number is "1" for all invoices. I have to import these invoices (transactions) into an accounting system, and the control numbers tell the system that each invoice is a different payable. There can be duplicate invoice numbers because some transactions have multiple line items that roll up to basically one invoice number.

Hi ,

See your file ; the formula is in column D.

However , please note that the formula will give the wrong results when rows are inserted , and error values when rows are deleted. So after either of these operations , you will have to copy the formula down the entire column once more.

Narayan

Thank you Narayan for your reply. Your formula will definitely work for what I am trying to do. I will not need to add rows once the formula is in place. Thank you for your help!

I can see how my original post was not very clear. Column B is the invoice number (trans number), which will already be generated on my report. Column A needs to be a control number to "group" the invoices together. When the report is generated the control number is "1" for all invoices. I have to import these invoices (transactions) into an accounting system, and the control numbers tell the system that each invoice is a different payable. There can be duplicate invoice numbers because some transactions have multiple line items that roll up to basically one invoice number.

No worries! - Narayan's intuition is better honed than mine - that is why he is a Ninja! and I am a mere Excel mortal, but a devotee of Guru Chandoo, no less ;):awesome::DD

Back