• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Adding symbols to charts???

I would like to have a chart with a vertical line along with an arrow to the right of the vertical line.

In addition, I would also like to have a shaded region to the right side of the line and another shaded region of different color to the left of the line.

As the vertical line changes along the X axis, the arrow would move with it and the area of the shaded regions would contract or expand as the vertical line moves to the left or right.

Sure thing. Here's an example I just made. Used an area chart to build shaded area, then added vertical line as an XY series, then another Symbol Line series to make a single data point. Drew an arrow, selected Symbol Line series, pasted. Chart will change as value in A3 is changed.
upload_2015-4-30_10-3-49.png

Attachments

• MovingChart.xlsx
    14.3 KB · Views: 2
Sure thing. Here's an example I just made. Used an area chart to build shaded area, then added vertical line as an XY series, then another Symbol Line series to make a single data point. Drew an arrow, selected Symbol Line series, pasted. Chart will change as value in A3 is changed.
View attachment 18448

Awesome. I am going to have to study this. Great example.

Hi Dalia,

As you can see in the image, the blank line is it's own series. The line has 2 points, at top of chart and bottom. So, we know the X point will be equal to user input, and the y points will be 0 and 1. You can then add this series to the chart, right-click on chart, and change it to be a XY type chart (since we started with an area chart).

For the arrow, I added another series, which will be a single points. I set it's X point to be equal to user input plus some offset (think I picked 5?), and the y value is 0.5, so it will show up in middle. Then, draw an arrow (or any picture you want), copy the shape, select the new series, and paste. The picture will now be used as the icons, and it looks like our chart has a nice arrow on it. :)

Back