• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Create a Custom Function

XLPadawan

Excel's DEC2BIN function only allows for binary number lengths up to 10 digits. How would I make a function from the code I've provided that would allow me to replace the DEC2BIN function used on the UseNewFunc tab and extend it downward to eliminate the #NUM! errors? The arguments for the function (in columns A and D) would be supplied to cell D6 (in tab DEC2BINX), returning the result from H3 as the function value.

Attachments

• DEC2BINX.xlsx
    20.4 KB · Views: 0
Hi ,

The uploaded file does not seem to relate to what ever you have posted ; there is no UseNewFunc tab , no DEC2BINX tab , and it is not clear what your real requirement is.

If you can give a clear explanation to the following questions , it will help.

1. You wish to convert a decimal number to a binary number ; is this correct ?

2. If yes , then what are the lower and upper limits for the decimal number ?

3. How are negative numbers to be treated , or will the numbers be strictly positive ?

4. Do you want only a conversion function or will you be doing any further arithmetic operations on the binary numbers ? For example , will you have a formula such as =DEC2BINX(NumA) + DEC2BINX(NumB) ?

Narayan

The file I have DOES have the tabs I referenced. I'll upload again and see what happens. If it uploads correctly, it should answer all your questions.

Attachments

• DEC2BINX.xlsx
    22.8 KB · Views: 0
You can use DEC2BIN for longer digits. You just have to break it down into 8 bit segments.

For 16 bit:
Code:
=DEC2BIN(INT(A1/2^8),8)&DEC2BIN(MOD(A1,2^8),8)

You can use DEC2BIN for longer digits. You just have to break it down into 8 bit segments.

For 16 bit:
Code:
=DEC2BIN(INT(A1/2^8),8)&DEC2BIN(MOD(A1,2^8),8)

Good stuff, Chihiro. Although I didn't mention it, I was hoping to see how to make a custom function and apply that knowledge to other [functions] I've created. Thanks!

Back