• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

comparison of two columns in a column chart

Indranil_Guha

Hello,

when I am preparing a column chart, if value of a column chart is too small compared to the other columns of the chart, it becomes nearly invisible, which is the nature of the chart and which is OK. But I need to do something so that it is at least visible during a presentation. I also can not increase the size of the chart beyond an extent as I have to fit 4-5 charts in a dashboard (PPT Slide).
The issue is same with the line charts as well, the line with the small amount just disappear in the base.

Is there any way with which this issue can be addressed?

Thanks

Attachments

• Sample.xlsx
    11.9 KB · Views: 3
In the attached I've added some formulae to row 3; in cell B3:
=MAX(B2,10)
copied across to E3.
This is what is plotted instead of row 2.
I also changed the formula in C2 to
=RANDBETWEEN(1,10)
to ensure we had some small values showing up.
Then I changed the labels; if you click twice on a label (NOT double-click) you select a single label then you can put an = sign in the formula bar then choose the corresponding cell in row 2 for each label, one at a time.
The formulae in row 3 make sure that the smallest value plotted is never less than 10. The label still shows the true value.

This can be refined a bit so it can handle when all the values chance to be small and not just the randbetween(100,400) you have in your sample file, by changing the formulae in row three to:
=MAX(B2,MAX($B$2:$E$2)/40)
and copying across.
This ensures that the smallest plot is never less than 1/40 of the tallest plot.
I've done this in the lower chart in the attached.
Change 40 to something else which suits your charts.

Attachments

• chandoo25240Sample.xlsx
    14.2 KB · Views: 8
Back