• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Multiple Data Sets

TomT

I'm working on a new workbook, and my original data set seems to be growing as I think of new ideas for what to include.

Originally, it was a dashboard for tracking active and closed jobs at work. Realizing that there were additional missing pieces in the day to day tracking of jobs, the data keeps expanding in scope.

My thinking is that each missing piece would be its own dashboard, with a corresponding data sheet. This could get to be cumbersome and potentially lead to mistakes, which will cost time and money.

For example, the original idea was to track which jobs I worked on each day. Then I realized that no one is tracking what resources are being used, so I need to include that data as well. There is also no way (other than sorting through a paper trail) to see at a glance which jobs I've worked on.

Each of those scenarios requires a unique set of data, all tied to together by a project code.

Is it 'normal' to have multiple data sets with one variable tying them together--project code--(for lookup functions), or to have just one set of data that sprawls across the sheet?

It's normal. But most often done via relational database.

For project management, you'd want to create several data entry sheets and create dashboard that ties info together.

For tracking projects. I tend to take minimalist approach. Track only the key aspects. For instance, I don't track what I worked on each day, but only the % progress made on projects (measure if you are on target for deadline or not) and what key mile stones are achieved.

Here's the link to article on this site which I found very useful.
http://chandoo.org/wp/2009/06/16/gantt-charts-project-management/

Thanks Chihiro. :)

I remember building a version of that dashboard.

My plan is to have seperate entry forms for different areas...right now concentrating on the data needed and how to lay it out.

In my case, I need details of each day for reporting purposes at the end of the job.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of different tables all keyed into the job number.

Back