• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

The Dynamic VLookup

somnath6309

The procedure which I am trying to design, searches the table array automatically and performs the vlookup function. Suppose a workbook have following sheets each have a range containing the “Total” key word :

BBSR

Guwahati

Siliguri

KolkataKG

KolkataHowrahKG

PatnaBo

Jamshedpur

Muzzafarpur

For example the sheet “BBSR” contains a range: $B$18:$E$18, where “Total” keyword resides at leftmost corner. In other sheets, there is same range but residing at different address i.e. the row number varies from sheet to sheet e.g. $B$20:$E$20, $B$26:$E$26.

I wanted to prepare such a Function Procedure that accepts a sheet name as its argument and then searches the range and performs the Vlookup operation. Here, I want to lookup Column No. 4 with respect to “Total” Key word in each sheet. The following is the code:

Code:
Function FINDROWNUM(sht As Worksheet) As Long

Dim Rw As Long

Rw = sht.Cells.Find(what:="Total", After:=Range("A1"), LookIn:=xlFormulas, Lookat:=xlPart,Searchorder:=xlByRows, searchdirection:=xlPrevious, MatchCase:=False).Row

MsgBox Rw

FINDROWNUM = Rw

End Function

Function FINDCOLUMN(sht As Worksheet)

Dim col As Long

col = sht.Cells.Find(what:="Total", After:=Range("A1"), LookIn:=xlFormulas, Lookat:=xlPart, Searchorder:=xlByColumns, searchdirection:=xlPrevious, MatchCase:=False).Column

FINDCOLUMN = col

End Function

Function NEWVLOOKUP1(sht As Worksheet) As Long

Dim RowNum As Long

Dim ColNum As Long

Dim Rng As Range

RowNum = FINDROWNUM(sht)

ColNum = FINDCOLUMN(sht)

Set Rng = Range(Cells(RowNum, ColNum), Cells(RowNum, ColNum).Offset(0, 3))

NEWVLOOKUP1 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup("Total", Rng.Address, 4, 0)

End Function

The function NEWVLOOKUP1 seems to create problem and hence is not working and showing #VALUE! Error. To test my code I introduced the following Sub Procedure that shows address of the Vlookup Range in “BBSR” Sheet :

Code:
Sub ShowAddress()

Dim RowNum As Long

Dim ColNum As Long

Dim Rng As Range

Dim Addr As String

Dim sht As Worksheet

Set sht = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("BBSR")

RowNum = FINDROWNUM(sht)

ColNum = FINDCOLUMN(sht)

Set Rng = Range(Cells(RowNum, ColNum), Cells(RowNum, ColNum).Offset(0, 3))

Addr = Rng.Address

MsgBox Addr

End Sub

And this time the Message box showed the address of Vlookup range $B$18:$E$18 ! and it seems that I am going in right direction.

Now, My question is What Modification is to be made in NEWVLOOKUP1 Function procedure so that it accepts a worksheet name of activeworkbook as its argument and then searches the lookup range and performs the vlookup function ?

For better understanding attaching the workbook where all sheets are present and the first sheet is the Report sheet.

Attachments

• Balance_Confimation_Details.xlsm
    64.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
Back