• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

dependent msg-boxes

reza moaezi

Hi Dears, I need to create some dependent msg-boxes; that means
1. usr choose 1 item (A..........Z)
2. second box will give him opportunity to choose 2nd item (A1....An)
3. third box.........choose 3rd item (A1a....Anz)
and so on untill 6 levels

Pls. Can someone help me

Merci Bien
Ray

Hi, This Version I tried it out..but what i really need is the same principe but with combo boxes and especially not necessary in the worksheet with column header and so on

Here's another method that uses named range in a sheet to populate combo-box. If you want to avoid users from touching the named range, you can set the sheet where named ranges are stored as "xlSheetVeryHidden".

http://ccm.net/faq/36243-vba-how-to-create-a-cascading-combo-box-in-a-userform

Hi !​

Sample in this thread

Voilà !

Hi I received your message ..Many thanks...that's exactly what i was looking for..But I have a list of
- 10 items in combobox1
- 20 items in combobox2
- 1600 items in combo box3

I tried to fill them with a list (for .. loop) but i was not successfull
Could you please help me on this item too
Many Thanks

That'd require VBA and should be asked in appropriate forum for further help.

But here's link to basic example.
http://www.excel-easy.com/vba/examples/dependent-combo-boxes.html

Hi Chihiro
I received your message ..Many thanks...that's exactly what i was looking for..But I have a list of
- 10 items in combobox1
- 20 items in combobox2
- 1600 items in combo box3

I tried to fill them with a list (for .. loop) but i was not successfull
Could you please help me on this item too
Many Thanks

Hallo Vletm,
Many Thanks for your reply. I already checked the stock_bill file. Unfortunately i can't use it as there are no Userform and no message combo boxes . What I need is an "easy to use" for selecting data.

so i have
1. main category (user can choose between different options)
2. sub category 1 (depending of chosen item in step 1, user will choose another option)
3. sub cat 3 (depending of chosen item in step 2, user will choose another option..these are the finale objects 1..1600)

later on each object has his specific characteristic that has to be displayed in a table.

Thank you again
Ray

@reza moaezi
If You really need UserForm, it won't be problem!
I'm sure that same method can use with UserForm & ComboBoxes.
Why to rotate selecting through Userform?
Anyway, it makes possible Your 'easy to use' for selecting data.
You can name 'unlimited' categories with 'unlimited' subcategories depending what user has selected and You'll get answers to Your table.
Can You send Your file? (with real or sample data)

@reza moaezi
As vletm already indicated, having 1600 list items in 3rd category is really not optimal.

Since you are looking for dependent list, I assume selection made in 1 & 2 will narrow down the choice in 3rd.

For each combo in 1 & 2, create distinct list that is tied to 3rd (there will be more than 1). Then using "Case" use the code to select which list is used to populate 3rd category.

Back