• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Maximum Number (Count) of Occurrence

Naresh Yadav

Respected All,

I have a data with 3 Row and 5 column having the name of different people
I need a formula that can allow me to get the name of the people who is the maximum Number (Count) of Occurrence
kindly file the attached file with Desired Result...
thanks in advance..

Attachments

• Maximum Number of Occurrence.xlsx
    8.8 KB · Views: 13
Try the below

INDIRECT(TEXT(MAX(IF(COUNTIF(A1:E3,A1:E3)=MAX(COUNTIF(A1:E3,A1:E3)),ROW(A1:E3)*10^5+COLUMN(A1:E3))),"R0C00000"),)

It may not be as complicated as I am thinking…but yes, here is my shot…

To be acknowledged with Ctrl + Shift + Enter

Hi.

You don't say what the return should be if more than one person share the highest frequency.

That withstanding, this array formula** is one possible solution:

=INDIRECT(TEXT(MIN(IF(COUNTIF(A1:E3,A1:E3)=MAX(COUNTIF(A1:E3,A1:E3)),10^5*ROW(A1:E3)+COLUMN(A1:E3))),"R0C00000"),0)

Note that this set-up will require a small modification if null strings ("") are a possibility within the range.

Regards

**Array formulas are not entered in the same way as 'standard' formulas. Instead of pressing just ENTER, you first hold down CTRL and SHIFT, and only then press ENTER. If you've done it correctly, you'll notice Excel puts curly brackets {} around the formula (though do not attempt to manually insert these yourself).

Hello friends,

A little cumbersome, but it is also possible that,

=INDEX(A1:E3,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(A1:E3)/(COUNTIF(A1:E3,A1:E3)=MAX(COUNTIF(A1:E3,A1:E3))),1),AGGREGATE(15,6,COLUMN(A1:E3)/(COUNTIF(A1:E3,A1:E3)=MAX(COUNTIF(A1:E3,A1:E3))),1))

with Ctrl + Shift + Enter

David

Respected Asheesh Sir,

thanks to giving your time to look and short out my Problem
I have got my desired result in your given array formula with one more query
while evaluating the formula I got "INDIRECT(TEXT(300003,"R0C00000"),) at the end of the formula

That will be a great help if you could kindly elaborate to me..

@David

You should perhaps check your solution when more than one name shares the highest frequency.

If this is the case then the solutions given by Asheesh and myself will select one of those names; however, your formula may give an erroneous result in such cases.

Of course, the OP did not clarify if this was a possibility, nor even what the result should be in such cases. However, I thought it was worth pointing out.

Regards

Hi to all!

Another option is with Power Query. See the attach video and file to see how it works. Blessings!

Attachments

• PowerQuery.part1.rar
    1,000 KB · Views: 4
  • PowerQuery.part2.rar
    570.1 KB · Views: 5
Hello friends,

This time it's accurate, but more cumbersome,

=INDEX(A1:E3,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(A1:E3)/(COUNTIF(A1:E3,A1:E3)=MAX(COUNTIF(A1:E3,A1:E3))),1),AGGREGATE(15,6,COLUMN(A1:E3)/(COUNTIF(A1:E3,A1:E3)=MAX(COUNTIF(A1:E3,A1:E3))/(ROW(E1:E3)=AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(A1:E3)/(COUNTIF(A1:E3,A1:E3)=MAX(COUNTIF(A1:E3,A1:E3))),1))),1))

with Ctrl + Shift + Enter

David

Ok, let me explain, It is R1C1 Referencing style that has been used here

Our construct currently looks like

INDIRECT(TEXT(300003,"R0C00000"),)

First lets look into the text part of the construct i.e.

Text(300003,"R0C00000") equals to R3C00003

Upon further evaluation resolves to R3C3 i.e Row 3 and Column 3.

Then finally wrapping it in the INDIRECT function i.e. INDIRECT(R3C3,) returns the value stored in the cell located at the intersection of Row 3 & Column 3.

Edit:
Go through the link below

http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/formulas/indirect.php

Back