• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

DataFormat.Error: The input couldn't be recognized as a valid Excel document. Details: Binary

Arvind Jain

While using Power Query for getting files from a folder, it gives the following error.

DataFormat.Error: The input couldn't be recognized as a valid Excel document.
Details:
Binary

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mod Edit: Moved to appropriate section

Last edited by a moderator:
Need more detail.

What file are you trying to get the data from? What was the original source of info? What version of Power Query are you using? etc etc...

If you can upload the file you are trying to import that would help.

If the file is in text format (.txt, .csv), first open it manually with Excel and see if error message comes up. If it does, save it as Excel file and see if that solves issue.

The folder contains *.xlsx files. I am using Power Query in Excel 2016. There are different worksheets in each of those excel files. Please let me know what other information is required so that I can use Power Query to pull those details.

Thank you,
Arvind Jain

There can be multiple reasons for this error.

Without looking at your source file etc, it's difficult to say what's causing it.

Few things you can try:
1. Have you opened the file itself without going through Power Query? Is there any error and/or message that pops up?
2. Check if the folder contains any other files. If so, go to Navigation step in the Applied steps window. Filter for only the type you need to process.
3. Go through the link below in detail and follow step by step to understand how to combine and append from multiple files.
https://www.powerquery.training/portfolio/append-data-from-files/

Hey, got the same problem, trying to upload 5 dead simple .xlsx files into one table, can't see what it doesn't work.. Please help?

Attachments

• Test PQ Junior time.zip
    39.3 KB · Views: 5
Structure of data table isn't ideal, and looking at your query, I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish.

If just combining data from 5 sheets. You'd create connection only query for each of the sheets. Then use query tool to append queries to single table.

upload_2016-7-25_9-0-49.png

See attached sample (you'll need to change source for each data).

Attachments

• Junior allocation consolidation sheet.xlsx
    18.7 KB · Views: 16
Back