• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How to include one set of data within another (a bar within a bar) on a horizontal bar chart

KC E

Hello,

I posted another question about this chart re: the horizontal axis and scroll bar, but the forum rules say to post other questions separately.

I have chart showing the actual days worked on a project, the days scheduled/predicted to work, and holidays we were not supposed to work during the project.

For the holidays and actual days worked bars overlap, I would either like to include the orange-ish holiday bars inside, like a stacked bar, the actual days worked bars spanning the appropriate dates for the holidays OR just add the holidays as a data label or data call out on the chart and not worry about showing how long the holiday was.

If I do this, then I would prefer to not have the holiday listed on the vertical axis but maybe have it as a label or call out on the graph. The axis is kind of crowded as it is. I had to remove the City A Scheduled, City B Scheduled labels from the axis to show the schedule/predicted dates of the project (the red bars) because it was so crowded on the axis. (The blue bars are the actual days worked on the project.)

This is another thing we have been trying to fix at work and cannot figure it out. We use Excel 2013 and Windows 7 at work.

Attachments

• Mid Project Report_Chandoo.xlsx
    26.7 KB · Views: 15
Thank you for your response, Chihiro. That helped to make Excel change the color automatically, showing the holidays as a separate color than the rest of my data. (I previously had manually changed all of the colors on the chart.)

It didn't, however, help me have the holidays to appear within the bar of the actual days worked bar on the chart, where those dates overlap, that is. It still appears as a separate bar like you see on the attached spreadsheet.

Can you or someone else think of anything else that could help? Thank you!

Try adjusting Series overlap etc. You have Start Scroll & Days Scroll stacked, you should be able to stack another series.

Thank you. That didn't work either. We just tried something else and decided not to worry about it.

Sorry, Other Users, this isn't solved, but we had to move onto other issues.

Thank you for your help, though.

Back