• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Absolute a 'worksheet'!

Richmandudeus

Is there a way to absolute a worksheet? ex. $'Sheet1'!A1

I have 3 worksheets.
Worksheet 1 has the data. (A1)
Worksheet 2 copies the data from Worksheet 1. (='Sheet1'!A1)
Worksheet 3 gets unwanted data from sheet1 via cut row and paste.

My problem is that when you cut the row from sheet1 and paste to sheet3, the formula in sheet2 will follow the cut row to sheet 3 (ex. ='Sheet3'!A1)
I need sheet2 to read sheet1 no matter what happens to the cells in sheet1. In this case sheet2 would read blank because there is no longer any data in sheet1 A1.

Any and all help is appreciated as always. Thanks in advance.

when you cut the row from sheet1 and paste to sheet3

If you cut the data from sheet one then the data will disappear and sheet two will throw a hissy fit.
Why not just copy and paste?

Due to the nature of my job (bosses), they want to minimalize cut and paste as much as possible. Our files have an enormous amount of data reaching out to hundreds of columns. They do not want us to select individual cells but would rather select a whole row. I was hoping there was a way to in a sense =$'Sheet1'!A1

Using cut or copy takes just as much time so the argument about not using copy holds water like a colander.
In fact copy is more productive as you are not loosing any data as you do with cut.

I completely agree with you bob. That is how i have been doing it and they don't like it even though i have had no errors in doing so as they desputely claim. I would much rather chuck my computer at my boss and say "figure it out yourself!" haha

Hi ,

Enter some values in A1 , B1 , C1 and D1 on Sheet1 ; you should see them in Sheet2.

Cut the cells and paste them in Sheet3 ; the cells on Sheet1 and Sheet2 will become blank.

Repeat and check.

Narayan

Back