1. Welcome to Chandoo.org Forums. Short message for you

Hi Guest,

Thanks for joining Chandoo.org forums. We are here to make you awesome in Excel. Before you post your first question, please read this short introduction guide. When posting or responding to questions please remember our values at Chandoo.org are: Humility, Passion, Fun, Awesomeness, Simplicity, Sharing Remember that we have people here for whom English is not there first language and we need to allow for this in our dealings.

Yours,
    Chandoo
  2. Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

3. When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Add a measure in a pivot table, but just want to see the total

Discussion in 'Power Pivot, Power Map etc' started by Lolo, May 18, 2017.

1. Lolo

Lolo Member

Hello,

I have data and a pivot table on it, and I want to add a measure, but just want to see the total of this measure.

Pb is that the measure is applied on each column. This is a normal behavior of pivot table, but in my particular case, I just want to see the global total.

I'm wondering powerpivot could help to do that.

Please see the file attached, I have tried to explain my problem, easier to understand with a basic example.

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Chihiro

Chihiro Well-Known Member

Can't you just group Units?

Edit: You may need to unpivot UNIT & UNIT2 columns in PowerQuery/Pivot.
  3. Lolo

Lolo Member

In this basic example, indeed if I group it would be ok.
    But In my real data, there is several pivot rows (region/country/vehicule/, so grouping, will still keep all theses pivot rows.

The user want to see the detail, but quickly see the total of units 2 just at the right of the detailed pivot table, he doesn't want 1 grouped pivot table or 2 pivot tables.

but this gives me an idea :)
    If indeed I create a second pivot table just after the first one, with jsut the measure UNIT 2, and I hide all the details except the total column, this should work. Problem is that when I filter the pivot table 1, I need to also filter accordingly the pivot table 2. With slicers it can be easy, but if the user filter directly the pivot table 1, I will probably need some macro.
  4. Chihiro

Chihiro Well-Known Member

Thomas Kuriakose likes this.