• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Adopting dashboards

Good morning!

I hope this is an appropriate place to start a discussion about this.

I've recently started creating interactive dashboards and the like, and the powers to be at my work are still requiring that I print everything to PDF (they work mostly off their tablets or phones). I've not yet been able to demonstrate how this could be a better option. That, needless to say, has been frustrating.

Has anyone ever been able to convince their folks to adopt dashboards as the way to view information? Does anyone know if there is something special that needs to be done to view dashboards on a mobile device? Are there any best practices for creating dashboards with this in mind?

I want very much to give my bosses what they need, and I think I have some very creative ways to present that info, but so far I haven't been able to get them to adopt interactive dashboards.

I would love to hear people's stories about how they implemented this shift in their workplaces.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. YL

From my experience, CEO and director levels like to check dashboards on the go, via mobile device. For them I print out (pdf, html etc) summary snap shot, daily, weekly and monthly. They don't necessarily want drill-down or controls, but a snap-shot that gives them at a glance, key information needed to make large scale business decisions.

For Team Leader and Operation Manager level, I give full interactive dashboard. So that they can look at report from many angles. More geared toward day to day management of staff and business.

I primarily use Excel for my dashboards. But I do use open source or free software to give access to interactive dashboard (Next Reports, amCharts) via mobile device for select users and remote locations.

Out of the two, Next Reports is quick and easy to use, but very limited in terms of data visualization, but adequate for KPI indicator dashboard.

http://www.next-reports.com/

amCharts requires knowledge of javascript and back-end coding, but is light and much more flexible and has Maps Charts as well.

https://www.amcharts.com/

Key here, is understanding your audience and their requirement. Customizing your data presentation to best suite their needs (not their personal preference per se, but what their position requires).

Edit: Oh and for some audience, I don't even do visualization. Just structured table and PivotTable. Some bosses in the past preferred it over visualization. Some do see pattern better from data rather than charts.

Last edited:
Back