• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Calculate Average from Multiple Data Sets

Hi,

I am having trouble conceptualizing which formula or combination of formulas to use in this scenario. . .

Imagine 2 data sets that come from 2 different database tables:
  • Table 1 contains a list of Car Parts and their respective cost.
  • Table 2 contains a list of Cars, and the Car Parts that belong to them. In the sample file, each Car has 2 Car Parts.
What is the best formula to calculate the average $ spent on car parts, per car? I have attached a sample file that illustrates this problem. The highlighted column contains the manual average calculations.

Thank you for the help!

Attachments

• sample.xlsx
    10.1 KB · Views: 5
No problem

so from point of view cell J4:

1. This asks if name of car in G4 is equal to the names of cars in D column and returns True and False accordingly.

(G4=$D$4:$D$33)

{TRUE;TRUE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE}

2. This simply returns the numbers from B column.
($B$4:$B$33)

{68;88;79;51;284;301;268;176;109;51;334;73;202;197;133;180;298;299;164;204;179;249;141;153;64;168;236;55;204;305}

3. When you perform mathematical operations on logical values ( true and false ) True converts to one and False to 0

therefore when I multiplay this arrays

(G4=$D$4:$D$33)*($B$4:$B$33)

it's going like true*68=68, true*88 = 88 , and False * whatever = 0

therefore you get this as result of multiplication

{68;88;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0}

4. function sumproducuct is versatile and in this casu just sum this numbers

5. Countif you probably can figure out but basically COUNTIF($D$4:$D$33,G4) it looks in column D and count how many times there is care name from cell G4.

6. You could use 2 as denominator but maybe you might have more then two parts therefore countif is better.

If something not clear just ask

Would SUMPRODUCT still work if we added another level? So imagine we add another table:

• Table 1 contains a list of Car Parts and their respective cost.
  • Table 2 contains a list of Cars, and the Car Parts that belong to them. In the sample file, each Car has 2 Car Parts.
  • Table 3 contains a list of Drivers and the Cars that they own.
In the same fashion, can we calculate the $ spent on Car Parts per Driver??

New sample file attached. I tried to apply the same logic of the sumproduct solution but this problem is more complex. Would an array formula be appropriate?

Attachments

• sample.xlsx
    16 KB · Views: 0
With helper column which I did in G column it is possible to use the same formula in column N.

Without helper column it would be sure a nastier formula and sure required some serious thinking on my part :)

Attachments

• sample (3).xlsx
    16.3 KB · Views: 0
Back