• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Can somebody help me in making this formula dynamic in nature.

Dear All,

I'm attaching my working file. Please go through the VBA code were in column C from C4 the formula is applied in only one cell. I would want to make my formula dynamic in nature so that the formula will work starting from C4 to infinite cells in column C.

Can somebody from the forum help me out. Please see my working code which is attached in my excel file.

Regards,

Sonjoe Joseph

Attachments

• Calculation of Daily Returns.xlsm
    18.6 KB · Views: 28
What do you mean by "infinite cells"?
I hope u have gone through my file. I want to make this formula dynamic in nature ie this formula has to work from C4 to down C5,C6 like this ie the no is end less. In simple terms the formula should be dynamic in nature. Everyday i will be entering the date and today closing price. In the third coloumn DR ie Daily Returns it has to calculate automatically.

Joe,
Nice to see u again
Below code will work for you,
but you can easily put formula in cell instead of VB code.
Just check

Code:
Sub dailyreturn()
Dim A As Range
Dim B As Double
Dim C As Double

Set A = Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("C2").End(xlDown).Offset(1)

B = Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("B3").End(xlDown).Value
C = Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("b3").End(xlDown).Offset(-1).Value

A = (B - C) / C

End Sub

Change your code as shown below:

Code:
Sub dailyreturn()

Dim c As Range
Dim LR As Integer
LR = Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

Application.EnableEvents = False

For Each c In Range(Cells(4, 3), Cells(LR, 3))
  c = (Range("B" & c.Row) - Range("B" & c.Row - 1)) / Range("B" & c.Row - 1)
Next c

Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

But the easier way is to put in C4: =(B4-B3)/B3
Then as you enter data simply press Ctrl+D when you move into C5 etc every day

Joe,
Nice to see u again
Just check

Code:
Sub dailyreturn()
Dim A As Range
Dim B As Double
Dim C As Double

A = (B - C) / C

End Sub

Thank You Ashhu for helping me again. You are just my teacher and learning new things from you. Good day

Joe,
Nice to see u again
Just check

Code:
Sub dailyreturn()
Dim A As Range
Dim B As Double
Dim C As Double

A = (B - C) / C

End Sub

Dear Ashhu,

I have checked your formula but its not working at all. I'm just getting errors. PLease do check out from your side what's the problem.

Change your code as shown below:

Code:
Sub dailyreturn()

Dim c As Range
Dim LR As Integer
LR = Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

Application.EnableEvents = False

For Each c In Range(Cells(4, 3), Cells(LR, 3))
  c = (Range("B" & c.Row) - Range("B" & c.Row - 1)) / Range("B" & c.Row - 1)
Next c

Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

Dear Sir,

I have checked your formula and that too is not working perfectly fine. Do check it from your side what's the problem.

Dear All,

After posting my question i have got three answers from Ashhu, Nebu & Hui. But when i have done the back testing it was Nebu Code who came perfectly fine. Good Job Nebu. Nebu can you explain the code for me since i didn't understand the code. My question is still open to anybody who can find a code which is simple and at the same time it should be dynamic in nature.

Joe
i am beginner to VB so I just put very simple code, As you said you enter fill B cell everyday and run this code, it works just ok.
error is because in your sheet C3 cell is blank, so its not recognizing.
I have put 0 (zero) in cell C3 and tested code, it works ok.

@Nebu code is excellent and intelligent and foolproof. I rather use that.

It gives me the same answer as you had and automatically extends to the extent of the data ?

Dear Sir,

I have checked your formula and that too is not working perfectly fine. Do check it from your side what's the problem.

It gives me the same answer as you had and automatically extends to the extent of the data ?

Hello Hui,

I was just working on your code with a new file. But things are not going fine since its showing errors. The screen short of the error and my working file attached. Please go through and awaiting for your feedback.

Regards,

Sonjoe Joseph

Attachments

• err01.png
    err01.png
    258.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Workingfile.xlsm
    14.6 KB · Views: 1
Joe,
Nice to see u again
Just check

Code:
Sub dailyreturn()
Dim A As Range
Dim B As Double
Dim C As Double

A = (B - C) / C

End Sub

Dear Ashhu,

Yes Ashhu the code is working perfectly fine. I checked right now. Good work.

Dear Ashhu,

Yes Ashhu the code is working perfectly fine. I checked right now. Good work.

Ashhu,

Your code is working perfectly fine only thing every time when i open the excel file i will have to click the macros button every time. Is there a way even not clicking the macro button the formula has to work perfectly well. Just see the Nebu code his code is working perfectly fine. I don't even need to click the macros button everytime to run the formula. Just go through it and come up with your version of a simple code.

Just replace code in nebu sheet, it just runs fine. The instruction code in sheet 1 triggering this event when anything added or deleted in Cell B. Hope i am clear.
I am sure you understood how the scripts working now. please contact Forum for any further clarification.
Good Night

Hi:

Find the attached.

Thanks

Hai Nebu,

I was just working on yr code in a new excel file. But its showing me errors when i tried to do myself. Don't know what went wrong. Just attaching the screenshot and the working file. Do tell me what went wrong. Do check my codes in module as well as in sheet1

Attachments

• err1.png
    err1.png
    231.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Stock Test01.xlsm
    16.2 KB · Views: 1
Hai Nebu,

I was just working on yr code in a new excel file. But its showing me errors when i tried to do myself. Don't know what went wrong. Just attaching the screenshot and the working file. Do tell me what went wrong. Do check my codes in module as well as in sheet1

Hello Nebu,

I have noticed a problem on a particular line of code which is pasted below:-

dr = Sheet1.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row

If i simply paste this code from your file which u have send me it will work. But if i try to type this code by my own then it will not work. The problem is that when i start typing the code after we type (Rows.Count,1) when we enter a dot . this end list will come automatically which contains up, down etc etc. In my case that end list is not coming up. That is why that error is coming up. How to solve this do tell me?????

Just replace code in nebu sheet, it just runs fine. The instruction code in sheet 1 triggering this event when anything added or deleted in Cell B. Hope i am clear.
I am sure you understood how the scripts working now. please contact Forum for any further clarification.
Good Night

Ashu,

Please advise why that error is coming.

Regards,

Sonjoe

Hi:

The error is basically because you have not declared the variable.
either you declare the variable using dim statement or use (dr&) , the code will work.

Thanks

Hi:

The error is basically because you have not declared the variable.
either you declare the variable using dim statement or use (dr&) , the code will work.

Thanks

Oh that's the reason. That is why Nebu has declared i$ in his statement. Thank You Ashhu for clearing my doubt. Thank You Thank You teacher

Back