• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Cascading Dashboard with Thermo

KellyDuehring

I need to create a cascading dashboard for project progress. What I am struggling with is the calculation for the parent child relationship.
In the attached workbook, I need to create a dashboard to show overall progress (not in Gantt) of each deliverable, how that relates to percentage complete of the Project and then ultimately the progress as a whole.

I have an example of what I want to see on sheet 2. I have to add thermo to this also to show where on a scale of 100% the completion for each project and each deliverable is. Pretty sure I can master this part, but needing some help on the calculation without having to create every one.
Thanks

Attachments

• SMS Dashboard.xlsx
    18.6 KB · Views: 15
Kelly

Firstly, Welcome to the Chandoo.org Forums

I think the problem is that you are working in Percentages rather than real times, Hrs or Days

Typically a project let assume it has 3 items A, B, C with durations of 50, 20 and 30 Hrs

If A is 20 hrs complete it is 40% of the 50 Hrs
if B is 10 Hrs complete it is 50% of the 20 Hrs
if C is 30 Hrs complete it is 100% of the 30 Hrs

overall the project is 60 hrs of the 100 or 60%

When using % you don't know what component each one is of the whole

Kelly

Firstly, Welcome to the Chandoo.org Forums

I think the problem is that you are working in Percentages rather than real times, Hrs or Days

Typically a project let assume it has 3 items A, B, C with durations of 50, 20 and 30 Hrs

If A is 20 hrs complete it is 40% of the 50 Hrs
if B is 10 Hrs complete it is 50% of the 20 Hrs
if C is 30 Hrs complete it is 100% of the 30 Hrs

overall the project is 60 hrs of the 100 or 60%

When using % you don't know what component each one is of the whole

Thanks for the reply, but, adding dates (which are vast in these projects) will make it a Gantt chart which we don't need. Basically 100% is the whole for everything, so if there are four deliverables in each project, each deliverable at 100% is 25% of the project. We are manually entering what percent each deliverable is at, then I want the calculations to take over from there.

It isn't dates, but durations that are required.

If everything is 25% then the maths is easy, but I am sure that isn't really the case

So the total is ((a/25)+(b/25)+c/25)+(d/25))/4

Hi Kelly ,

I think the problem is one of definition. You need to define what is meant by overall completion.

For example , for the first item :

ASAP/FRMP Migration , Program Migration to Q-Pulse

the progress parameters are :

Design Progress : 50 %
Implementation Progress : 50 %

Given the above values , what would be the overall completion result ?

Here , since only one sub-item is involved , it may be straightforward , but what about the following item ,

Corporate Integrated Safety, Risk Management and Quality Assurance Database (SA)

which has 8 sub-items , each of which has its own design progress value and implementation progress value ?

What is supposed to be the overall completion value for a sub-item which has 50 % as its implementation progress value , and where no design progress value is entered ?

Narayan

Back