• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Conditional Formatting issue...

Eloise T

I wish to flag the following three words if they show up in Column F:
REBILLED, REPAID, PAID
Creating three Conditional Formats works (see below):
=$F3="REBILLED"
=$F3="REPAID"
=$F3="PAID"

How can they be concatenated into one Conditional Format?

The following don't work...
=$F3="REBILLED" OR "REPAID" OR "PAID"
=$F3="PAID,REBILLED,REPAID"
=$F3="PAID".OR."REBILLED".OR."REPAID"
=$F3="REBILLED" & "REPAID" & "PAID"

Hi, Eloise T!
At the edition or input bar, either if you press the "f(x) " at the left or if you input "=<function>(" (unquoted) you're led to the function built-in help, which is classified by function type. There you can read the related help, and as you type the formula, you're prompted for each parameter. This is a good way to construct formulas, it would have aided you with your F3 intents. You knew that you have to use OR function, well, type "=OR(" and see what happens.
Regards!

Hi ,

When the words will be used as they are , and not when they are stored in cells , then another possibility is as follows :

Define a named range , calling it say CATEGORIES , and in the Refers to box , enter ={"REBILLED","REPAID","PAID"}

Your CF formula will now be :

=OR($F3 = CATEGORIES)

Narayan

Hi ,

When the words will be used as they are , and not when they are stored in cells , then another possibility is as follows :

Define a named range , calling it say CATEGORIES , and in the Refers to box , enter ={"REBILLED","REPAID","PAID"}

Your CF formula will now be :

=OR($F3 = CATEGORIES)

Narayan
This is whole new concept for me.
upload_2017-8-3_23-49-12.png

In Cell E1, only REBILLED shows up? ={"REBILLED","REPAID","PAID"}

When I put one of the three in, the opposite happens from what I expected.
Cell E1 lights up rather than Column F cells. Interesting....

upload_2017-8-3_23-53-35.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-3_23-49-22.png
    upload_2017-8-3_23-49-22.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 8
Hi, Eloise T!
At the edition or input bar, either if you press the "f(x) " at the left or if you input "=<function>(" (unquoted) you're led to the function built-in help, which is classified by function type. There you can read the related help, and as you type the formula, you're prompted for each parameter. This is a good way to construct formulas, it would have aided you with your F3 intents. You knew that you have to use OR function, well, type "=OR(" and see what happens.
Regards!
I will try that. Thanks.
Hi ,

A named range is defined using the Name Manager.

Narayan
More for me to digest and look into.
Thank you.

Enjoyed reviewing the info in this thread, and also appreciate all the help I have received in the past from this website.

Using Narayan's (a tremendous Excel resource - Thanks) coding example of
=OR($F3 = CATEGORIES) I wanted an EXACT match (case sensitive) so I expanded the code as follows:

=OR(EXACT($F3 = CATEGORIES) )

Not sure if you needed this capability but it does work.

For some one who says she does not use social media outlets you sure know them all, pleased to say I have never heard of most of them........:p

For some one who says she does not use social media outlets you sure know them all, pleased to say I have never heard of most of them........:p

I cheated and Googled them, otherwise, like you, I've never heard of them.
...a few were invented on the fly....:rolleyes:

Enjoyed reviewing the info in this thread, and also appreciate all the help I have received in the past from this website.

Using Narayan's (a tremendous Excel resource - Thanks) coding example of
=OR($F3 = CATEGORIES) I wanted an EXACT match (case sensitive) so I expanded the code as follows:

=OR(EXACT($F3 = CATEGORIES) )

Not sure if you needed this capability but it does work.
Thank you! Good to know!

Back