• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Creating an automatic ref number

flashgordon

Hello everyone,

I am trying to create an automatic reference number which will be added to correspondence letters.
I have the "company name", "individuals name" which should be incorporated in full or in part along with an automatically generated alphanumeric code.

eg: company name: Genisis - Individuals name: David

reference number: genyte54dav199

Any similar ideas or better ideas will be greatly welcomed

Many thanks
Gordon

Hi Gordon ,

It will be difficult to decide whether any new idea is better than yours unless more information is available on the objective of this numbering ; if you can explain what use will be made of this number , other than just tagging correspondence letters , then the numbering system can be developed to facilitate this.

Narayan

Hi Gordon ,

It will be difficult to decide whether any new idea is better than yours unless more information is available on the objective of this numbering ; if you can explain what use will be made of this number , other than just tagging correspondence letters , then the numbering system can be developed to facilitate this.

Narayan

I need to send visa requests to the Ministry of Foreign affairs in the country that I am currently working.
So I want to keep a reference of each request that is sent out with a trace of our company name, the name of the person for who the visa request is being sent.
Due to country I am working in I would like to avoid naming the full name of the person involved and if possible adding a random alphanumeric number to the reference (it could be just numeric or alpha).

Gordon

Something!!

=LEFT(A1,3)&CODE(RIGHT(A1))&LEFT(B1,3)&CODE(RIGHT(B1))&LEN(A1)+LEN(A1)+LEN(B1)

Just need to manipulate the formula.

Something!!

=LEFT(A1,3)&CODE(RIGHT(A1))&LEFT(B1,3)&CODE(RIGHT(B1))&LEN(A1)+LEN(A1)+LEN(B1)

Just need to manipulate the formula.

Thanks very much for that Deepak,
It's a good start to what I was wanting and like you said I now have a base to which I can manipulate the formula.

Back