• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Data Sources/ Ideas required

chirayu

Hi All,

Basically I was looking for data on mortality rates by country. As in no of people who died per year per country.
I also hence need a dataset to tell me the population per country per year.
Also if possible I need data that can tell me something like cremation vs burial figures from the mortality rate per country per year.

So I wondered if anyone could suggest me some good data sources to accomplish this.

It isn't a research or work related thing. I just had a stupid idea for a dashboard to make in my spare time. It is supposed to be a funny dashboard with accurate facts and figures. I don't need down to city level data. Ideas are welcome. Basically I'm making a dashboard about best place to be in case there's a zombie outbreak lol

@Chihiro

I downloaded the WHO data & loaded it into MS Access. Did some calculations & stuff to summarize by Country & Year for both the Deaths & Population. Looks like WHO data is missing a lot of bits. Sucks. Can't really do an accurate comparison - Attached the summary file where I did vlookups for comparison.

Attachments

• Dump.xlsx
    474.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
@Chihiro

I checked the world data bank link and its got a lot of great data.

They do not have actual numbers in terms of deaths but they do have a "Death rate per 1000" so used that to estimate number of deaths.

Unsure if I've done it correctly though. Calculation I used was:
(Total Population/1000)*Death Rate per 1000

I was also thinking of maybe normalizing the data for the missing values. Any suggestions of how to go about doing this. I looked online & a lot of different ways so unsure what the best way is to fill in the missing values.

But looking at the data. wondering if its even worth normalizing because pop dead vs living isn't much.

Attachments

• Zombie v2.xlsx
    709 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Your death toll calculation is right. Though I'd express it as Population*(Death Rate per 1000/1000), either way, it evaluates to same result.

There isn't really good way to normalize this sort of data, especially when large set of data for single country is missing.

Usually missing data set indicates poor data collection, suspect data accuracy, or difficulty in collecting data due to circumstance (natural disaster, no census record etc). Or simply non participating country (Ex. Greenland prior to 1977).

However, if accuracy/confidence isn't major issue. You can plot existing data, and do trend analysis to somewhat normalize data. Resulting formula will depend on data series you are analyzing.

Back