• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Data Table problem

I'm using a data table to do a sensitivity analysis on the effect of two variables on Net Income. The variables are gross margin % and top line revenue. For some reason when the admin expense is a percentage of revenue the data table fails to consider the expense in the results. I don't know if this is new with Excel 2013 . . . but I don't recall ever running into this problems before. I'm uploading a file showing a very simple example of the problem.

Attachments

• Data Table Problem.xlsx
    23.7 KB · Views: 6
Bizarre

It didn't work for me in either 2010 or 2013

However I did fix it

I deleted the Data Table and remade it
upload_2014-10-30_23-52-3.png

See attached file:

Attachments

• Data Table Problem-Fixed.xlsx
    16.4 KB · Views: 13
Stranger and stranger. I just did the same thing on the spreadsheet you uploaded and bingo it is back to being wrong. At this point I'm guessing that you remade the data table using Excel 2010 and the problem may be an Excel 2013 bug. I've done this on two workstations and also with 2007 Can you confirm you "fixed" it using 2010?

Yes it was 2010
But I checked it was ok in 2013 before posting

I suggest going to the Windows Start, control Panel, Programs
Find Microsoft Office
Click on it and select Repair

For the sake of my sanity could you open your "fixed" version, clear the data table and then put it back? I'd like to see if the error comes back like it did for me.

Does not matter where I clear and reinstate the data it works as per Hui has said, I am using 2013 costing £78 per year.

Attachments

• Data Table Problem-Fixed.xlsx
    22.2 KB · Views: 0
Hi ,

I use Excel 2010 , and redoing the Data Table command on top of your existing one recreated it without any erroneous values. The row input cell chosen was C2 , and the column input cell chosen was C3. Your mistake is in reversing this.

Narayan

It opens fine in 2010
It opens fine in 2013

If I delete and reinstate the DT in 2010 all ok
If I delete and reinstate the DT in 2013 all ok

I'm thinking Narayan may have spotted the error in having the links reversed
Typically doing that throws your model way out, but in this model it doesn't make a visual difference and only makes a small numerical difference

Back