• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

(Data validation-List-Search) Find all Results with part of Name

ExcelMan7

hi everybody,

really amazing site and good place of sharing information.... really thanks for all.

i have question , as you see in attached excel .. i have a lot of name and i don't know if there is any way let me search in the drop down-list for any part of name instead of put them in ascending then search by the latter.

for example:
if want all name contain "Khan" which is part of name ... then i will select one of them.
Note: the down-list will be used for each row.

thanks in advance

Attachments

• Dropdownlist.xlsm
    52.6 KB · Views: 22
hi everybody,

really amazing site and good place of sharing information.... really thanks for all.

i have question , as you see in attached excel .. i have a lot of name and i don't know if there is any way let me search in the drop down-list for any part of name instead of put them in ascending then search by the latter.

for example:
if want all name contain "Khan" which is part of name ... then i will select one of them.
Note: the down-list will be used for each row.

thanks in advance

Hi,

I think if you mix the following two link, you would get the desired result.

http://forum.chandoo.org/threads/dropdown-based-on-search-string.15410/#post-96096

http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal11.html

Please take help of the Excel Ninjas of Chandoo.org.

Regards,

Last edited:
Hi,

I think if you mix the following two link, you would get the desired result.

http://forum.chandoo.org/threads/dropdown-based-on-search-string.15410/#post-96096

Please take help of the Excel Ninjas of Chandoo.org.

Regards,

THANKS MAN ,

I TRIED WITH THE FORMULA BUT I THINK I HAVE SOME PROBLEM WITH CODE.

AS I NEED COMBO BOX FOR MALT I CELLS NOT ONLY ONE .... PLEAS SEE THE ATTACHED

I NEED COMBO BOX READ THE FORMULA AND BRING ONLY MATCHING VALUE THAT ENTERED.

THANKS

Attachments

• DataValCombobox mY.xls
    220.5 KB · Views: 16
ExcelMan

You have no need to apoligise for your English, and you do not need to say sorry for bothering us, that is why we are here.
ALL UPPER CASE IN ANY posts makes it harder for pepole to read and there have been many instances where members have not responded to a post because of upper case.

ExcelMan

You have no need to apoligise for your English, and you do not need to say sorry for bothering us, that is why we are here.
ALL UPPER CASE IN ANY posts makes it harder for pepole to read and there have been many instances where members have not responded to a post because of upper case.
hhhhh.. sorry for that relay i don't know that upper case is for make hard but i have some problem with my computer ... sometime is hanging due to my damaged button ... but regarding the code i have no idea about it and relay you or any will help me a lot if this issue solved.....sorry again

Hi ,

Did you try and see what the file I uploaded does ? Do you have any comments on that file ?

I cannot understand what you wish to do from your file ; if you can understand what the file I uploaded does , you can use the same technique to get what you want.

The file I uploaded uses a Textbox in cell H3 ; you enter any characters you wish in this text box , and when you click on the combobox drop-down arrow in cell E3 , it will show the list of employees who have the entered text in their name.

If you want that your complete requirement has to be developed for you , I will need at least another week before I can look into it.

If you have any doubts on the file I uploaded , I can clarify.

Narayan

Hi Narayan,

Yes i saw your uploaded file but inseted of write In H3 , i want write into the same cell which is E3 , if you go back to 2nd uploaded file which is " DataValCombobox mY.xls" you will see that Comobox & data validation have been combined together ... try to (Double)click any cell of C2: C12 ... for ex go to C3 and Double-click then the comobox test will will appear. but the problem on that file when i tried to write any part of name is not give me all results contain what i wrote ...i think if you can help me on the VB code into it as i have no experience on it. i uploaded the file again
thanks for helping ... appreciated

Attachments

• DataValCombobox mY.xls
    220.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ,

I have already seen your uploaded file , where a combobox and data validation have been combined ; you now wish to include another extension , where if you type in some letters it will change the data validation list.

This is something new , and if you really want to go in for this , you will have to wait , since who ever wishes to answer will have to try it out , and see if it can be done.

Narayan

Hi,
I

Hi,
I uploaded two file. In workbook "DataValComboboxSheet", here you have to do the following.....
  1. Double-click on one of the cells that contains a data validation list.
  2. The combo box will appear
  3. Select an item from the combo box dropdown list, or start typing, and the item will autocomplete
For example: when you type A.AM, A.AMUDHAN will appear and press Enter key to select and the combo box disappears.

But this file does not solve your problem:
" if want all name contain "Khan" which is part of name ... then i will select one of them ".
To solve this problem, I have attached one more workbook "Search combo like Google" which was originally created by Debraj (Excel Ninja of Chandoo.org). If someone help to combine the features of the two workbooks, the problem will be solve.

Regards,

Attachments

• DataValComboboxSheet.xlsm
    22.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Search Combo like Google.xlsm
    21 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hi,
I

Hi,
I uploaded two file. In workbook "DataValComboboxSheet", here you have to do the following.....
  1. Double-click on one of the cells that contains a data validation list.
  2. The combo box will appear
  3. Select an item from the combo box dropdown list, or start typing, and the item will autocomplete
For example: when you type A.AM, A.AMUDHAN will appear and press Enter key to select and the combo box disappears.

But this file does not solve your problem:
" if want all name contain "Khan" which is part of name ... then i will select one of them ".
To solve this problem, I have attached one more workbook "Search combo like Google" which was originally created by Debraj (Excel Ninja of Chandoo.org). If someone help to combine the features of the two workbooks, the problem will be solve.

Regards,

thanks Prasenjit

this is really what i want If someone help to combine the features of the two workbooks, the problem will be solve.

Hi ,

I have already seen your uploaded file , where a combobox and data validation have been combined ; you now wish to include another extension , where if you type in some letters it will change the data validation list.

This is something new , and if you really want to go in for this , you will have to wait , since who ever wishes to answer will have to try it out , and see if it can be done.

Narayan
Hi Narayan,
I have uploaded two workbooks. If someone helps to combine the features of the two workbooks, the problem will be solved. Please see the workbooks and request you to try to solve the problem. Sources of the workbooks:

Thanks in advance.
Regards,

Attachments

35.3 KB · Views: 8
    21 KB · Views: 6
Hi,

This can be achieved by using a text box and a combox

Check the attached file

The data list in column A
When you type something in the text box the combo box drop down will have a list.

Attachments

• Book1.xls
    77.5 KB · Views: 19
Hi,

This can be achieved by using a text box and a combox

Check the attached file

The data list in column A
When you type something in the text box the combo box drop down will have a list.
Hi @Sathish KV

Thanks for the reply. But I am sorry to say that my requirement is something different. I have attached two workbook. My requirement is to make workbook "DataValComboboxsheet" with the feature of the workbook "Search Combo like Google" while proceeding for data entry. Sources of the two workbooks:

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Attachments

36.3 KB · Views: 6
    21 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hi,

I have altered the existing "Search Combo like Google.xlsm" file as per your requirement

Let me know if it fulfills your requirement

Attachments

60.1 KB · Views: 12
Hi,

I have altered the existing "Search Combo like Google.xlsm" file as per your requirement

Let me know if it fulfills your requirement
Hi @Sathish KV

Thanks for the reply. Your are almost near to my requirement. Here I am going to mention where exactly I want the search like Google feature. In workbook "DataValComboboxSheet", there is Data Validation in Column A. When you double click the Data Validation, Combo Box appears. Now I want the Search like Google feature , i.e. when I type "Khan", all name contain "Khan" which is part of name should appear in drop down list... then I will select one of them. Note : the Search like Google feature should appear in every cell where the data validation and combo box are there.

Thanks & Regards
Prasenjit

Attachments

36.3 KB · Views: 7
Hi,

I don't think you would require that many comboboxes in your sheet.

Refer the attached file.
When any cell in the range A2 to A10000 is clicked or selected the cursor moves to the combobox and when you type or select in the combobox it gets printed in the last selected cell.

I belive this will address your requirement

Attachments

67 KB · Views: 37
Hi,

I don't think you would require that many comboboxes in your sheet.

Refer the attached file.
When any cell in the range A2 to A10000 is clicked or selected the cursor moves to the combobox and when you type or select in the combobox it gets printed in the last selected cell.

I belive this will address your requirement

thanks but is not enough.... because each row has a different information, that's way we need many Validation with comboboxes.

Back