• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Datavalidation with tables - Dropdown based on 1st selection

GFC

upload_2014-10-22_18-27-26.png
Hello
Here my situation: The data are in a table.
I would like to ease the input for a Vlookup function to make it more user friendly...
instead of having the unique ID number, the user should be able to look for the name
(This data validation works) and then have a second one with the possible first names.
Ideally there would be a check to be sure that these infos identify only one line...
It this possible? (Without VBA)
And then do the Vlookup.

Solved it differently for now, by adding the Index at the end of the the combined column and making a Vlookup on this combined cell.

Wonder however if there is a way to make data validation dropdown list with "successively filtered" data, without VBA.

There is a way of doing this, search in this forum there are a couple of articles written on the same.....

Thanks for the links...
The main difficulty here however is that I do not know "in advance" what the sub-categories are...
unless I do a pivot table to get for each family name the firstname already present in the dataset

Back