• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Dealing with rounded corners on thermometer charts

I just read the page on thermometer charts.
http://chandoo.org/wp/2008/06/26/thermometer-charts-in-excel-howto/

This is awesome. The only problem I am dealing with is how to make the chart column corners round when the maximum value is reached. I am using temperature as my data. The Y axis is set to Minimum = 0 (Fixed) and Maximum = 100 (Fixed).

1. I have the rounded rectangle shape that overlaps the circle. But the column chart is a rectangle w/o rounded corners. Therefore when I reach the maximum value of 100, I can see the sharp corners of the column chart barely sticking out of the rounded corners of the underlying rectangle shape. It's only a little, but is there any way to make sure that the upper corners are also rounded?

2. When the value is zero, only the circle is shaded. But shouldn't the circle really be empty when the value is zero? Is there a way to accomplish this?

3. After deleting the Y axis, suppose I want to go back and change the settings. How can I do this by selecting the chart itself? I know I can select the chart, then click the Layout tab, then Axes, then Horizontal Axes, but I'm just curious how to do the same thing w/o having to depend on the ribbon.

4. When you insert a shape and select it, you can use the arrow keys to nudge the shape just a bit in order to move is just by the slightest amount if you need to get a tight fit. But how can you do this with the chart itself? When I select the chart and use the arrow keys, Excel will cycle through all the objects on the chart.

Chart has been uploaded.

Attachments

• Thermometer Chart.xlsx
    11 KB · Views: 17
Hi ,

The answer to your first question is that the way it has been done in Chandoo's blog post , you can see that when a value of 100 is entered , the fill does not reach all the way to the top ! So you never see the corners protruding outside the rounded rectangle.

What you can do is select a slightly thicker line for the rounded rectangle , say 3 pt. With this thickness , when a value of 100 is entered , the bar does not reach all the way to the top of the rounded rectangle ; so the corners of the bar will not protrude outside the rounded rectangle ; at the same time because the line is so thick , you do not see any gap between the bar and the rectangle.

Narayan

I just read the page on thermometer charts.
http://chandoo.org/wp/2008/06/26/thermometer-charts-in-excel-howto/

4. When you insert a shape and select it, you can use the arrow keys to nudge the shape just a bit in order to move is just by the slightest amount if you need to get a tight fit. But how can you do this with the chart itself? When I select the chart and use the arrow keys, Excel will cycle through all the objects on the chart.

Ok everybody. To help out others, I found out how to nudge a chart with arrow keys just like you can with shapes. Here is what you do:

1. Select the chart (chart is selected with thick borders)
    2. Press and hold Ctrl, then select the chart again (chart is remains selected but now it has thin borders)
    3. Let go of Ctrl
    4. Now you can use the arrow keys to nudge the chart
I hope this helps everybody.

Back