• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Excel 2016 crashes when opening Conditional Formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please find the attached desensitized file that crashes with Excel 2016 when selecting Conditional Formatting then Manage Rules then change Current Selection to This Worksheet. You won't need to select OK before the screen turns white and it crashes.
The issue could be specific to your computer. I have Excel 2016 at home & Excel 2010 in the office. For what its worth, both systems are 64 bit. I have tried at both places and I am able to open the dialog with "This Worksheet" without any issues.

Nothing that raises alarm bells (at least for me and I am pretty lame in CF) in the applied ranges except they seem to be broken i.e. non-contiguous. It could be result of some deletion and addition of rows / cells.

If you've gotten rid of Excel 2016 then there's nothing that can be tested but if you still have it then it'd be good to implement Chihiro's suggestion.
- Clear CF from entire sheet. Save workbook.
- Rebuild it and then see if issue persists.

If you have 2016 on some other PC then possibly SirJB7's suggestion can also be tested.

The issue could be specific to your computer. I have Excel 2016 at home & Excel 2010 in the office. For what its worth, both systems are 64 bit. I have tried at both places and I am able to open the dialog with "This Worksheet" without any issues.

Nothing that raises alarm bells (at least for me and I am pretty lame in CF) in the applied ranges except they seem to be broken i.e. non-contiguous. It could be result of some deletion and addition of rows / cells.

If you've gotten rid of Excel 2016 then there's nothing that can be tested but if you still have it then it'd be good to implement Chihiro's suggestion.
- Clear CF from entire sheet. Save workbook.
- Rebuild it and then see if issue persists.

If you have 2016 on some other PC then possibly SirJB7's suggestion can also be tested.
Thank you for your suggestions. We still have Excel 2016 on the same computer but I will be using Excel 2010 on another one from now on or until the IT people get Excel 2016 working without crashing on accessing Conditional Formatting.
I appreciate the time you spent checking on your end!

Assuming IT does get it working, I will share the "fix."

The IT dept. finally got around to reinstalling Excel 2016 today. The Conditional Formatting crashing problem went away. I asked the IT guy when he finished the reinstallation why he didn't install it correctly the first time? He made no comment. :mad::him :DD:me

Hi, Eloise T!
A few comments:
Would you describe your experimentation step by step leading to the crash?
Does this crash always happen under the same conditions?
Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Excel/Office?
Tried experimenting on another machine with Excel 2016?
This is the 3rd post, July 24th... had tried that and could have solved the issue 18 days ago.
Regards!

Our IT dept. doesn't trust anyone to reinstall anything.
Nothing is done until they get a round tuit. (See below.)
I was told I was lucky that I could go to any Internet site. Many others in the co. have been locked out of everything except for the co. Intranet.

iu

Hi, Eloise T!
Our IT dept. doesn't trust anyone to reinstall anything.<How much reason do they have! I neither did nor do nor will ...>
Nothing is done until they get a round tuit. (See below.)<Or until CIO receives a mail/call from the user's manager/director... otherwise they were right, it was not so urgent for the company...>
I was told I was lucky that I could go to any Internet site. Many others in the co. have been locked out of everything except for the co. Intranet.<with whom should I have to talk about it...:rolleyes:... let the CEO knows I want to know him...>

iu
Regards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back