• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Extract Text from a picture in excel

mahaveer

i m inserting a .xls file here for your observation.

in this file i have a ( picture in which some text are mentioned).

basically this is a code i want that code will be get in cell f1 as a text.

so is it possible to get text from a picture.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks & Regards
Mahaveer Somani

Attachments

• text from picture.xls
    22 KB · Views: 162
Good day Mahveer

Pictures are not part of an Excel cell they float over the spreadsheet, I do not think you can do this without code.
If you look at the upload and change the values in A1:D1 you will see the total in B5 has changed, the picture has no masking on the cells it is covering, it is not part of or connected to the cells so I do not see how a function/formula will work on the cell,VBA mabey. Is the text in the picture displayed in that way to stop machine readability?

Attachments

• Mahveer.xls
    82 KB · Views: 101
Hi Mahveer,

I doubt that Excel can do such an conversion, as images are generally combinations of pixels. You better try some OCR convertor to convert images to text.

Thanks for your kind reply.

actually this is a captcha code on web page.

and i m trying to fill one web page form from excel for getting some information..
but every time it asks for this captcha code.
and everytime this code changes...
so

with my userform i had add one code from that code...all form is filled correctly. and this code downloads that captcha code as a image in the same excel file....

but i want that the text in this image.....but how?

Hi Mahaveer ,

What you are asking for is impossible.

Why it is impossible is because once you embed the picture in an Excel file , its character is well-nigh lost.

If you retain it as a picture file , this is possible , but even then with very sophisticated programming ; in case you are interested , check this link :

http://www.boyter.org/decoding-captchas/

Narayan

Back