• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Find last cell that meets condition in unsorted list [SOLVED]

Vink

Hi,

Could anyone help me construct a formula that finds the last cell (row nr) in a range that meets a condition. The values in the range are unsorted. Example with B containing the unsorted range:
A __ B
10 2,2
20 3,3
30 2,2
40 3,3
Suppose the condition is B<3 then the function should return 30 because the third row contains the last cell where B<3.

Kind regards, Daniel.

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to chandoo.org forum.

One question are you always check for condition less than "<"? If so try below formula:

=INDEX($A$1:$A$4,LARGE(IF($B$1:$B$4<D2,ROW($B$1:$B$4)-ROW($B$1)+1),1))

Note this is an array formula so must be entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

Here data is in A1:B4.

Change the red relational operator inside IF to meet your requirement.

Regards,

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to chandoo.org forum.

One question are you always check for condition less than "<"? If so try below formula:

=INDEX($A$1:$A$4,LARGE(IF($B$1:$B$4<D2,ROW($B$1:$B$4)-ROW($B$1)+1),1))

Note this is an array formula so must be entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

Here data is in A1:B4.

Change the red relational operator inside IF to meet your requirement.

Regards,

Dear Somendra,
Thank you very much, works great. I had to change the fixed ranges to a dynamic offset-formula because at the end of the list some cells contained "" due to IF(condition; someformula; ""). The "" resulted in an error.
I understand the working of the formula, but could not have come up with it myself, so thanks again.
Daniel.

BTW, do I have to close the thread because question has been satisfactorily addressed?

Hi Shrivallabha ,

The thread which according to the OP has been resolved to his / her satisfaction , can be marked SOLVED.

Narayan

Back