• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Forumulas not showing in formula bar

Isidore Penn

I have a spreadsheet I use to track my time on consulting projects. Suddenly yesterday cell contents (including text, formulas, etc.) stopped displaying in the formula bar. They show in the cells if I toggle "show formula" in the formula tab but not in the bar. I've searched far and wide for a solution (including here at Chandoo) without luck. I started a new spreadsheet and there's no problem. I reviewed all the options under the file tab and nothing seems relevant (although I'm not a sophisticated user so may not have understood some of the options). I certainly may have inadvertently pushed a key combination but am just not sure what I did to create this result.

Any help would be deeply appreciated. I've spent so much time on this and I'm guessing it's something pretty simple. It doesn't even really show up in any searches so I figure it's me.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks oldchippy. I'd looked at that support info but it didn't help (I could have missed something). I also don't understand this tip. I'm uploading a Word file with 2 screen shots (I'm reluctant to upload the actual spreadsheet at this point).

The first shot shows a part of the spreadsheet with results and text. The second shows what happens when I highlight a cell - formula shows in cell but not in formula bar BUT the insertion point in the formula bar is not where it belongs and when I click-drag it shows that there is something there - but it's hidden.

Hopefully the issue will be obvious to someone more knowledgeable than I.

Attachments

• Excel formula probl.docx
    358.1 KB · Views: 0
From what you describe, it does not sound like related to "Protected sheet" with "Hidden" formula issue. Since you are able to go in to the cell and select what's in there. If "Hidden" option is selected, it should erase what's in the cell when you click to edit.

Can you run few tests and see what happens?

1) Is this happening to single sheet or entire workbook?

2) What happens if you Right click on the sheet name tab, "Move or Copy", check "Create a copy" and make a copy of the sheet to new workbook and look the the cell in question in the new workbook?

3) Does the problem happen across different computers for the same workbook? Or just on your machine for this particular workbook?

4) Do you have dual monitor or single monitor. If dual monitor, did you try switching between screens?

5) Is your Excel fresh install or was it upgrade from previous version?

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Incredibly, without actually doing anything, the problem seems to have resolved (well I actually did something - restarted the computer - duh! always should be the first thing). But I'll respond because it might happen again or maybe someone else can use the info:
1. it was the entire workbook, 2. couldn't implement as problem resolved, 3. was just on this machine and was just on one workbook, 4. single monitor, 5. I think it was an upgrade but not sure.

Thanks to you and first responder - this is a GREAT site.

Glad you got it resolved.

Your test result indicate either workbook option or temp memory issue. But hard to say exactly what.

Back