• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Get the Last column Letter formula

Hi ,

I am using sumif formula (=SUMIF($BD$15:$GW$15,$AV$15,$BD17:$GW17) , however in the current formula last column is GW , but when there is increase in range from GW to NI ,i need teh formula to get the rage updated to (=SUMIF($BD$15:$NI$15,$AV$15,$BD17:$NI17).

Appreciate your help in this regard.

Hi Ragav,

try the below

SUMIF($BD$15:INDEX($BD$15:$XX$15,COUNTA($BD$15:$XX$15)),$AV$15,$BD17:INDEX($BD$17:$XX$17,COUNTA($BD$17:$XX$17)))

Share the sample file if otherwise

Hi ,

From what I can see , if only one address is used , Excel uses that as the starting point and takes the end point from the first parameter.

But for correct results , the starting point row / column of the third parameter should match the starting point row / column of the first parameter.

See the attached file.

Narayan

Attachments

• bb example.xlsx
    17.3 KB · Views: 6
I posted on this feature of SUMIF recently:

http://excelxor.com/2016/01/08/incrementing-indirect-column-references-within-sumifscountifs/

and it was also used to good effect in the latest Shortest Formula Challenge:

http://excelxor.com/2016/01/26/shortest-formula-challenge-6-scrabbled/

This property also appears to be unique to SUMIF within that group of functions: a similar syntax cannot be employed with SUMIFS, COUNTIF or COUNTIFS.

And it should be pointed out that reducing the sum_range like this has the disadvantage that it renders the construction volatile. As such, it is not really to be recommended (other than in shortest formula challenges, of course! :)).

Regards

Hi All,

I tried to find out any documentation around this, however, couldn’t find any…

What is creating confusion now is the fact that it should return 0 for cell D1 and D2..since we are looking for a criteria equal to B*

As per the attached in post no 8

I think there is more to it than I could understand about this construct..

Edit: Noticed little late that @XOR LX has responded

From what I can see , if only one address is used , Excel uses that as the starting point and takes the end point from the first parameter.

Not quite. The two ranges must still be of the same dimension. The sum_range is redimensioned to match that of the range.

So, for example:

=SUMIF(A1:A10,"X",B2)

is equivalent to:

=SUMIF(A1:A10,"X",B2:B11)

not:

=SUMIF(A1:A10,"X",B2:B10)

(In fact, the latter will also be redimensioned such that it matches the former.)

Regards

Narayan Sir, interesting test.

It produce some unexpected / wrong results, if we reverse the above technique, i.e. single cell reference in Range, and complete range reference in sum_range, like:

=SUMIF(A9,"B" & "*",$B$9:$B$17)

SUMIF Range.PNG

Result is 51400.96 in E3, while the criteria is AGU :confused:

The principle is no different here: the sum_range is again redimensioned such that it matches the dimensions of the range.

So:

=SUMIF(A11,"B" & "*",$B$9:$B$17)

for example, is treated just as if it were:

=SUMIF(A11,"B" & "*",$B$9)

etc.

Regards

I have tried as below

=SUMIFS(BD185:INDEX($185:$185,MATCH("ZZZZ",$185:$185)),BD$11:INDEX($11:$11,MATCH("ZZZZ",$11:$11)),"Not Billed",BD$15:INDEX($15:$15,MATCH("ZZZZ",$15:$15)),"DTE Net Activity")

resulting value error

I have tried as below

=SUMIFS(BD185:INDEX($185:$185,MATCH("ZZZZ",$185:$185)),BD$11:INDEX($11:$11,MATCH("ZZZZ",$11:$11)),"Not Billed",BD$15:INDEX($15:$15,MATCH("ZZZZ",$15:$15)),"DTE Net Activity")

resulting value error
Try,

=SUMIFS(BD185:INDEX($185:$185,MATCH(9.99E+307,$185:$185)),BD$11:INDEX($11:$11,MATCH("zzzz",$11:$11)),"Not Billed",BD$15:INDEX($15:$15,MATCH("zzzz",$15:$15)),"DTE Net Activity")

@Raghava@rock

Do you really need to determine the last-used column?

COUNTIF(S)/SUMIF(S) are rare among Excel functions in that they suffer no detriment to performance if an arbitrary number of rows/columns are referenced, so limiting the ranges passed, although good practice in general, is not actually necessary with these functions.

As such, you could use simply:

=SUMIFS(BD185:XFD185,BD11:XFD11,"Not Billed",BD15:XFD15,"DTE Net Activity")

And it's even simpler if we can include the columns prior to BD also without affecting the result, viz:

=SUMIFS(185:185,11:11,"Not Billed",15:15,"DTE Net Activity")

Regards

Hi Xor lx,

I tried using the above but the same is resulting the memory issues as the formula needs to be applied for 500 rows.

Do you have an alternative for the same

@Raghava@rock

Did you use the precise formula as I posted?

If so, even copied to 500 rows should mean a full calculation of no more than a second.

In fact, I did a quick test in a mocked-up workbook, entering dummy data in columns BD to XFD for a total of 500 rows. I then entered the formula I gave you and copied down a further 499 rows. A full calculation took just over half a second.

Are you sure that the issue is this particular set of formulas (doubtful given the results I get) and not some others within the workbook?

Regards

Back