• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Help with horizontal axis of dates and scroll bar to dynamically change chart

KC E

Hello,

I have tried working on this for 1.5 days. I am using Excel 2013 on Windows 7 at work.

I am trying to create a horizontal bar graph showing the progress of a project, showing how long the project lasted compared to how long it was scheduled/predicted to last. I've added the time the project took in the City where the project is located and below that (without a label b/c it was too crowded) the time the project was scheduled/predicted to take. In addition I've added holidays--days we were not supposed to work during the project.

1st question: the chart looks horrible b/c the values in the series are spread too far apart. How can I make the chart look better so it is not so big? I've tried adjusting the max/min values of the horiz. axis (of dates). I would like to add a scroll bar, which leads to my next question.

2nd question: why doesn't my scroll bar work so that just the dates, not the hub names scroll? I want just the dates to scroll and for the series/values in the chart to scroll along with the dates. It scrolls very strangely right now.

I have a 3rd question about including the holidays within the actual days worked bar or adding as a data label or call out, but the forum rules say to ask separate questions in separate posts.

I would appreciate any help. We are all stuck at work. When viewing attached file, please scroll to the right to view chart as well as the data used to create the chart.

Attachments

• Mid Project Report_Chandoo.xlsx
    26.7 KB · Views: 16
The attached is just to give you some ideas.
I've ditched your scroll bar and replaced it with 2 others; scroll and zoom.
I've changed the chart's horizontal axis to be automatic.
I've used a named range called City, and 2 others offset from City, for the plots.
The City named range is dynamic, based on an offset from cell O2, one scroll bar being just a plain offset, the other being the size.
The other two named ranges are cells StartDate and Duration and are just 1 and 2 columns offset from City respectively.
I've put conditional formatting (relying on a little formula I put in column R) in columns O, P and Q to show you what's being plotted.

Your data is not well organized.

Attachments

• Chandoo30540Mid Project Report_Chandoo.xlsx
    28.6 KB · Views: 17
Thomas Kuriakose, Thank you so much for uploading this. I just revisited this forum to check on something and saw this posting. I gave up on this and created a simple horizontal bar chart, but I am definitely going to look this over! Thank you so much for your hard work. Yes, I need to organize my data better. I think that is one of my problems in not getting the charts I want.

Back