• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Is there any excel trick that would easily solve Rubic cube

jraju

Hi,
Is there a simple way to solve the Rubic cube. I know it has edge pieces, and centre pieces and 3 rows and their move are restricted to spin and rotate.
Is there a way, excel way, to how to solve the scrambled cube
There must be some definite clues, Chandoo sir,

I wouldn't even attempt writing the Excel formulas for this myself. But just an initial thought, even if you had formulas to solve, you would have to have a data entry section to enter the color matrix of your cube so it could solve it based on its current state.
You would have to enter the color matrix of all 6 sides of the cube and also the relative position of the sides to each other.

And I hope you are speaking of the original 3x3x3 cube. It only has 43,252,003,274,489,856,000 positions. If its the 17x17x17 then there is about 66.9 quinquagintatrecentillion or 6.69 * 10^1054
If you are looking to solve your cube, go here Help Me! My Cube Is a Mess.

There are numerous programs written to solve this.
This site has links to (most are CGI) source code projects for the 2x2x2, 3x3x3 and 4x4x4. http://rubiksolve.com/help.php

Googling "excel rubik cube " finds several websites with Excel Based solutions

....Is there a way, excel way, to how to solve the scrambled cube

hmmm... I did the "Excel Rubik Cube" search and the 'several', turn out to be a couple, and they pointed to the workbook created by Justin Powel.

JP has an interesting project. However this does not help you solve your Rubik Cube as the OP asked.
It only gives you an App that lets you 'scramble' the 'Excel Cube' and 'play' in Excel. At the end of the day it hasn't helped you solve your Rubik Cube. Look at it, it's still a mess!

My first thought was, this would be easy to modify the code and Sheet to allow someone to set the 'Excel Cube' to match their Rubik Cube. This would be pretty easy to code. But this project still wouldn't give you the steps to SOLVE your Rubik Cube.

Then I thought, maybe if it was able to be set up to match your cube, it would help 'test' moves. Thereby giving you some help to solve. ie you could write some 'Undo' code to the Excel Cube. But given the 2d view, I don't think it would be helpful as one would get confused after just a few turns on the 'Excel Cube'.

At its basics, JP is really just using Excel as a method of using VB code to run the cube turns. The only Excel'ish' thing really is using the Cells of Excel for the graphic view the cube.
That said, there ARE apps written which allow you to enter your cube's state and it will help you solve it. The ones I saw were in C++ , Java, CGI, and other languages but no VB. There was mention of VB.Net code but I couldn't find it.

I have no doubt that the algorithms could be ported over to VB and in turn used to create the "Solve My Cube" feature to JP's work.

Here is a great "Solve My Cube" . You enter your color pattern. it then gives you the moves needed to solve your cube. http://rubiksolve.com/

Yes I did the search. Google returned 127,000 for "excel rubik's cube".
126,990~ had no content to Excel and using it to solve (not Play) one's Rubik's Cube.
Just a cursory check of the first page of results shows that only two links had content to do with Excel software and programming code to play the rubik's cube.
However none of the 126,990~ other results have any content for Excel and how to solve a rubik's cube.

PLAY Rubik's Cube, Yes.
Solve my Rubik's Cube, NO.
And nothing about doing it in VB programing language

And after page ONE most of the references to Excel were to sites that had nothing to do with Excel, as they were references for Ads or programs to 'Play' Rubik's cube online. Thousands of completely irrelevant information for the search after that.

My reference to "several" and "couple" was real usable results for the OP about an Excel solution to solving a Rubik's Cube. Not to play it online. or Results that showed you the "turning methods" to solve your cube. (ie nothing about programing code or algorithms or how to enter the current state of your cube so it could be solved step by step).
Other languages (All flavors of C, CGI, Python and others), Yes. But again, only a couple were to solve your rubik's cube!

But none were Excel related and none were in VB. And only one link had a 'reference' to VB.net but the code for that seems to be very elusive.
I certainly never found it. Yes, I did go all the way to the very end of the Internet and came back. :)

I don't know why, But there certainly must be a good reason why nobody has written a "Solve My Rubik's Cube" in VB?!?!?!

* Bruce bows down reverently to Bob, and suggests to him to be the first one to come up with a VB solution....*

Hi, I am glad that some kind of thought on this emerges. Taking that white as top and giving nos 1 to 9, and by giving the numbers up to 54 for each side, could there by some visible solution to try a kind of permutation and combination analysis to do .
Regarding BRuce's suggestion that giving your position and solving in one site, i tried that site and it gives solution to the example cube position only. But when i try to colour it my position of the cube, then the solve button becomes grayed.
I will try the BRuce link to solve and try to learn. I also know that there is a possibility of *******somuch moves for solution according to scrambling and solving. But, there must be a kind of simple solution that evades. A person is able to solve within 5 seconds, be whatever be the position prompted me to ask this question. I do think that Chandoo.org is the right place for looking for solutions for this kind of problems.
If you number it, as i said , will there not be a possibility of correct location of the original position even when it is scrambled? pl

Hi, Bruce,
The link you mentioned is the exact link i tried with my positions but solution greyed. May be the site wants some perks to solve your problem

Back