• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Linking Chart Titles to a Cell

I am trying to link my chart title to a cell that contains the drop-down list (the chart data is tied to that list and changes when a different value is selected). Is there a way to do it? I am using Excel 2007 and need to tie the chart title to the cell $A$1 on the same tab. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Good day phillygirl777
Can you not just put a cell reference into your chart title to reference A1???

What do you mean? If I do that, it means that every time we are looking at the chart, we have to manually correct the title, and I am trying to find a way around it.

I took it that you wanted to select a drop down in A1 and show this in the chart title!! That's what I mean, do you mean some thing different?

Please have a look at the upload

Attachments

• phillygirl777.xlsx
    18.7 KB · Views: 19
I must be doing something dumb. The text I want for my chart title is in cell B164. So I click on the chart title so I can edit it.
I try typing in "B164" - I get a chart tile that says "B164", not the contents of cell B164.
I try typing in "=B164" - I get a chart tile that says "=B164", not the contents of cell B164.
I know there is something little I have missed ...

Thank you the formula bar is the place.
There is another little nuance I found - if you just type in "=B164" in the formula bar it comes up with an unhelpful message "References in series formulas must be external references to worksheets."
Which basic ally means you need to put the sheet name in the forumula e.g. "=Sheet10!B164". Or if while you are in the formual bar you highlight the cell with the label in it, then Excel will put the sheet name in for you.
As an aside . . . . I thought that best practice would be to use a range name rather than a cell reference e.g. a name "=GraphTitleOne". But I could not get that to work, despite Excel, understanding it was a range name and Excel putting the range name in for me.

Back