• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Load jpg picture into word document, from selection defined in excel worksheet

Angelique_C

Hi,

I have some excel vba code where I'm trying to insert a picture into a Word Document. The picture needs to be selected from a folder, with the jpg named according to an ID number selected from the current row in an excel worksheet ("query"). Once the correct jpeg has been selected, it needs to be pasted into a word table cell. I think there's a few problems with the code I'm using, the first one being that I'm getting a "user defined type not defined" message for the Word.Application. Can anyone help?

Code:
Sub OpenWordCopyPic ()

Dim i As Integer
    Dim word_app As Word.Application
    Dim word_doc As Word.Document
    Dim word_tab As Word.Table
    Dim word_rng As Word.Range

Dim ws As Worksheet, iExcelRow As Integer, iWordRow As Integer, currName As String, wordName As String, photoFile As String

Dim foundIt As Boolean

Set word_app = CreateObject("word.Application")
    Set word_doc = word_app.Documents.Open("S:\Projects\2015_Template_LPO.docx")
    word_app.Visible = True

Set ws = Worksheets("Query")

For iExcelRow = 2 To ws.UsedRange.Rows.Count                                    ' go through the list of names
        currName = ws.Cells(iExcelRow, 2)                                        ' save the name so can add to the Word document
        photoFile = "S:\2015\" & ws.Cells(iExcelRow, 1) & ".jpg"     ' determine the file name of the new photo
        If Dir(photoFile) = "" Then                                                      'if no matching file in first location, check another folder for a match
        photoFile = "S:\2014\" & ws.Cells(iExcelRow, 1) & ".jpg"
        End If
        If Dir(photoFile) = "" Then
            MsgBox "A new photo for " & currName & " cannot be found."
        Else
            foundIt = False

Set word_tab = word_doc.Tables(1)                                        
            For iWordRow = 1 To word_tab.Rows.Count                                 

If Dir(photoFile) <> "" Then word_rng.InlineShapes.AddPicture photoFile, False, True         ' add the new photo
                    word_rng.InsertBefore wordName + vbCrLf                             ' put the name under the photo with a carriage return and line feed

foundIt = True
                    Exit For

End If
            Next
            If Not foundIt Then
                MsgBox currName & " could not be found"
            End If

End If
    Next
   MsgBox "Ok all finished", vbInformation

End Sub

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Scottyg,
Thanks for your help; I don't have the MS Word object library in my References list - I've got the MS Office 15.0 Object library(which is selected), but the specific MS Word object library is not appearing in my list at all - there is an MS Word OLE file here ...C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\MSWORD.OLB not sure how to proceed though?

Ang

Back