• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Lock an object but allow users to double click and open in new window

URao

Hello,
I have an embedded pdf file in each excel worksheet. When I protect the cell, the user is no longer able to double click and open the embedded object. Since the pdf is a help file on how to fill in the data, I need the pdf object to be locked so that it cannot be deleted from the worksheet but the user should be able to open it in a new window.
Please help.
Cheers

Thanks Luke,
I did try locking the cell and protecting the workbook with the edit object selected. This allows the user to move the icon and delete it, both of which I want to disable.
Cheers

Any chance that instead of embedding an object, you create a hyperlink to said file?

Unfortunately, I cannot add a link. Most of the users work offline and the help file is needed.

Can you use a macro? We could write a macro that unprotects the sheet, opens the object, and then re-protects the sheet.

Sorry Luke, I wish life were that simple. Our office are not in favour of macros - I can't even send a xlsm file.
What I have done is put the help file as an object in both the actual worksheet and the table of contents sheet - so even if one copy gets deleted there is a second.
Thank you so much for all your help.
Cheers

Sorry I couldn't find a solution. I guess the only thing left is to leave a sign saying that anyone who deletes/edits the object will be executed by firing squad, and hope for the best. :p

Back