• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Lookup with multiple conditions (text and integers) with approximate match

b124816a

Hello,
Please see my uploaded workbook. I begin with the PCR worksheet and paste my values in columns A through E. Column F has an array formula I got from a forum. It returns the first integer from column D. The columns G through J all contain lookup results.

In the beginning I had only one value in column A, and did not need this column. I used the integer in column F as a lookup value for VLOOKUP in the Lookup table. The Lookup table also did not have column A. I looked up column B, Mut_Start using an approximate match (please scroll to the NF1 gene, the other numbers have not been entered yet) and returned values from columns C through F back to the PCR worksheet.

Now I want to expand this to multiple genes. The gene symbols are in columns A as text strings. Each gene has a list of integers in ascending order in the Lookup table column B.

I am trying to use both the gene symbol, column A in the PCR worksheet and the Mut_Start integer, column F to find an exact match for the gene symbol and an approximate match for Mut_Start in the Lookup table. For example:

NF1 <61 should return NF1_ex1

NF1 equal or larger than 61 but smaller than 205 should return NF1_ex2

NF1 equal or larger than 205 but smaller than 289 should return NF1_ex3

and so on.

I read Chandoo's VLOOKUP book and tried an INDEX/MATCH combo as in PCR!G7 but it returns 0 instead of NF1_ex1.

What is the method of choice? I thought about a nested VLOOKUP, like first use the gene symbol to lookup a target range in the Lookup table and then the Mut_Start as a search key for an approximate VLOOKUP only in this target range. The examples in the VLOOKUP book and forum posts all seem to talk about exact lookups.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Confirmation_List_practice_2.xlsm
    198.1 KB · Views: 11
Back