• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

??Move/copy data from one column, insert into another column??

klxdrt

Hi,

I'm newbie using XL2003 and would like to know if IF/HOW I can move a column of numbers and insert them in FRONT of a group of letters in another column so I can have 1 column of numbers in front of letters.

If so how do I do it?

The diagram below illustrates what I would like to do.

move to this column.png

cheers klx.png
PS: Was able to do this with, Alpha4, a Dbase clone yr ago, not sure in XL 2003 can do it.

Hi - welcome to the forums!

Do you want to keep the red text format on the numbers in the combined cell?

If you just want to combine the contents without the format, you can do this simply -- assuming your source data is in Columns A and B.

In Column C (probably cell C2), enter either of the following formulas:

=A2&" "&B2

=CONCATENATE(A2," ",B2)

(see attached for reference)

Then, when you have a working formula, just copy and paste it into the other cells. (There is also a feature in excel that allows you to copy the formula to other cells by dragging the bottom right corner of the cell you want to copy)

All best!

Attachments

• klxdrt1.xls
    25.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi,

I'm newbie using XL2003 and would like to know if IF/HOW I can move a column of numbers and insert them in FRONT of a group of letters in another column so I can have 1 column of numbers in front of letters.

If so how do I do it?

The diagram below illustrates what I would like to do.

View attachment 21288

View attachment 21289
PS: Was able to do this with, Alpha4, a Dbase clone yr ago, not sure in XL 2003 can do it.

Attachments

• Concat.JPG
    Concat.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 0
Hi,

Thanks a lot, it worked. This opens up a lot of possibilities for me using XL. So you don't get the wrong Idea, I'm not a heavy user of XL, most of my work in XL has been with budgeting & marketing SS.

So, is it possible to reverse the process such as for example: moving/extracting a "number" from a column to a separate column.

I don't have my orig manual to look up XL's functions, if you guys know of a website that lists them, please pass it on to me.

And here are couple of stacks of home baked cookies to share with the forum.

Attachments

• cookie stack.jpg
    cookie stack.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 0
  • cookie stack.jpg
    cookie stack.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 0
  • cheers klx.png
    cheers klx.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 0
You can use a formula like this (see attached) to extract the first 3 characters in a string:

=LEFT(C2,3)

If the numerals vary in length (sometimes more or less than 3 characters), but are always followed by a "space", you can use something like this:

=LEFT(C2,FIND(" ",C2))

There is always more than one way to skin the cat...

All best.

Attachments

• klxdrt2.xls
    26 KB · Views: 0
Back