• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Named cells

PaulRR

Hi,
I have used the forums here for a few months. I joined now because I cannot find an answer to my question. It is possible that I am simply not asking it correctly. So, here is my best effort:
I have two work sheets Sheet1 and Sheet2, with text string in the Sheet1 cells.
I want to link a cell in Sheet1 to a cell in Sheet2, but with a different cell address in Sheet2
Example: Sheet1!b3 is linked to Sheet2!a2, an arbitrary but permanent link.
I can do this with absolute references, BUT I want the cell in Sheet2!a2 to always point to Sheet1!b3, EVEN if I drag and drop into and out of Sheet1!b3.
I tried INDIRECT, but if you drag and drop from the referenced cell, the INDIRECT function keeps pointing to where the orginal contents go, not the source cell location - SHEET1!(b3).
I thought that Naming the cell would work, but INDIRECT(Name) does not work, as far as I can determine.

Why do I want to do this?
I want to use what ever text that is in Sheet1!b3 to be used for formulas in SHeet2!a2, always. I can cut and paste, but I am essentially moving test strings around Sheet1! to arbitrarily change order and rank and drag and drop would greatly simplify the process.
Thanks for any help!
Paul

Back