• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Need help in VBA nested loop for excel 2003 calculations

Ria

Good morning all:
I am using excel 2003. In attached sample workbook, columns H to K are calculated values. I may have 1000 or more rows of data. All is good but in column J, I want to automate calculations through VBA loop which I am struggling. I know someone of you will be able to solve this puzzle for me. It can be just VBA macro or combination of excel formula. Column J is sample calculations manually done.
Requirements:
1. A constant number: currently: 20 cell N2 but it can be any number from 2 to 250 (means calculations in column J will consider first 20 rows of data from column H & I then put result in M22.).
2. For first calculation for M22, constant value will stay same e.g. 20
3. Need to calculate ABS(I22-H3) for all cells in column I22 till H22.
4. Next, calculated will be place in M23 (move to next cell/row), and M23 will be constant for rest of ABS(I23-H4). This time, I23 & H4 increamented by one.
5. M column is the result of all calculations what I am expecting (same as in column J)
6. If I do manually then for few rows is easy but for thousands of line need some VBA loop.
Attached is my VBA macro attempt and sample worksheet.
Any working solution will be appreciated. Thanks for all fellows in advance.

Code:
Sub MyCalculations()
  Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
  Dim LR As Integer, CCIVal As Integer, I As Integer, J As Integer, Calc As Double, JLoop As Integer, k As Integer
  LR = Range("G" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
  CCIVal = ActiveSheet.Range("N2").Value 'constant value
  Range("M3:M" & LR).ClearContents
  JLoop = CCIVal + 2 'constant value plus 2, put first calculated value in this cell of column M
  '--------------
  For I = JLoop To LR 'put first result in M cell then keep going till last row
  For J = 3 To JLoop 'keep constant value same but change cell reference of cells H
  For k = 0 To CCIVal 'calculate ABS of all rows and sum all results
  Calc = Abs(ActiveSheet.Range("I" & JLoop + k).Value - ActiveSheet.Range("H" & J).Value)
  Calc = Calc + Calc
  Next k
  Next J
  ActiveSheet.Range("M" & JLoop).Value = Calc / CCIVal
  Next I
  Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Attachments

• cs-cci.xls
    63 KB · Views: 3
To make it bit more dynamic when constant value changes...
=SUMPRODUCT(ABS(I22-(H22:INDEX(H:H,ROW(H22)-$N$2+1))))/$N$2

Copy down.

Chihiro: Thanks a lot and hats to you. You nailed down this problem.
I will do more testing on changing constant value and more data. If any issue then will ask you again. For now you are king.

To make it bit more dynamic when constant value changes...
=SUMPRODUCT(ABS(I22-(H22:INDEX(H:H,ROW(H22)-$N$2+1))))/$N$2

Copy down.
Hi Chihiro:

1. When constant changes, placement of first calculations also change. e.g. currently in J22 but if constant changes to say: 10 then placement of first calculation will be: J12, I can handle where to place first calc value.

2. When constant changes currently 20 and calculation based on I22-H22..H3, but if constant changes to say: 10 then calculation should changes to I12-H12...H3. Based on constant value, calculation base should change accordingly.
Please help me to make it robust. Thanks again.

Ria

Hi Chihiro:

Sorry for delay response. I tested it with larger data and it works like magic. Great and thanks a lot.

Riaz

Back