• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Nonlinear Sales Forecasting

Dokat

Hi,

I have a 52 week historical sales data for various price points. The relation between price and demand is non linear. When i ran a regression it returns low RSquare and high P value which indicate regressors are not predictive. Did anyone come across the same issue and work around to build predictive pricing model in Excel.

Thanks

Is there a Monthly or Quarterly or other cycle that is more regular?

Are you sure Price is the only variable in this scenario? Here is how I would approach the problem:
  • Plot price vs. demand (unit sales) and inspect for any visible pattern.
  • Exclude outliers
  • If there is no specific pattern, repeat the exercise with
    • price bands vs. sales
    • price vs. sales split by time of sale (by weekday / month / weeknum / quarter etc. depending on your industry norm)
    • Is there a mixture of patterns? (ie liner relationship up to certain price and then exponential / polynomial after that)
If you see no obvious pattern, validate your hypothesis that price determines demand. May be the relationship is weak or non-existent. Or it is masked by other variables not present in the data. So either include more columns or conclude that such a prediction is useless.

If you end up building such a model, share it with us.

all the best.

Back