• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Password breaker

sms2luv

Throughout the internet, several steps are mentioned to disable VBA password 1 is by renaming DPB in hex editor.
Is there a way 1 can protect this from happening.
If anyone works hard for the code, it could be easily cracked by someone and all his efforts would be wasted

This is an inherent downside to EXCEL. It was never designed to be crackproof.

I understand though, if you compile your finished workbook into an excecutable, it can still be cracked but will require someone with more than basic skills to do so.

There are numerous commercial products on the 'net to convert to executable and at least one free one.

Search excel to executable or xls to exe

Hi, sms2luv!
The trick of the 1-byte change with an hex editor works only for .xls files if I far as I remember. Later with .xlsx file structure it doesn't work anymore. These new files have first structure level of .zip/.rar files, just rename any *.xls? file to those extensions and you're ready to play a bit.
Regards!

Yeah, my philosophy is, if you don't want user to see data, don't put it in the workbook.

Recently, I've been shifting many of my dashboard/reports to PowerBI platform, which has much more robust security.

Basically, beefed up version of PowerQuery & PowerPivot along with PowerView.

It's stand-alone outside of Excel and is published by Microsoft. Desktop version is free, though to truely leap the benefit, you'll want yourself and user(s) subscribe to monthly subscription of their cloud service (PowerBI Pro @ $9.99 USD/month).

I've been using Pro since Apr this year (after convincing my CFO it's a very good investment) and been loving it.

How can we install power pivot?
I cannot use a exe, msi file due to restrictions.
Can we use it as an Add.in

Power Pivot is an add-in, but is only available if you have the correct version and SKU of Excel.

It depends. If you have 2010, then yes. If you have a later version, it's included in certain SKUs and if you don't have it available, you can't get it.

Yep, as Debaser wrote. PowerPivot is add-in for Excel 2010, but is in msi format. PowerQuery on the other hand comes default with latest version of Excel and with Office365 (now called Get & Transform).

PowerPivot is still an add-in for later versions as well (COM Add-in), but comes prepackaged with certain SKU that can use it (but not turned on).

Excel 2013 or later will require one of following SKU.
Standalone Excel
Enterprise license (E3, 5)
Office 365 ProPlus subscription

Also for Excel 2016, retail Pro version will have PowerPivot, but not Excel 2013.

Edit: Also there is Office 2013, 2016 ProPlus retail purchase. But 2016 is only available through volume licensing.

Last edited:
Back