• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Populate cell and basis of value returned

Simon Lee

Ok.....let's see who is wide awake :)

In Cell Y12 I have typed the text "tile"

In Cell Y2399 text is autopopulated and sometimes it contains the word tile, or tiles, or carpet/tiles

In Cell Z2399 I want to return a value 1 if Cell Y2399 contains any text that spells whatever the text is in Cell Y12, in this case tile

Any one out there got any ideas?

Try this =IF(ISTEXT(Y2399),Y12,"") :)

Ok.....let's see who is wide awake
:)

In Cell Y12 I have typed the text "tile"

In Cell Y2399 text is autopopulated and sometimes it contains the word tile, or tiles, or carpet/tiles

In Cell Z2399 I want to return a value 1 if Cell Y2399 contains any text that spells whatever the text is in Cell Y12, in this case tile

Any one out there got any ideas?

Hi XLstime

THat formula only identifies that ther is actual text in the target cell and then returns a result, it doesn't identify the actual text and compare then return a result.

I've tried the Fuzzy add-on, everything.....I'm starting to think this is impossible

So you are saying that you want cell Z2399 to have a value of 1 if cell Y2399 contains the same contents as cell Y12?
If so why not just compare the Y cells and return a value (1) to cell Z2399 with an IF statement.

Back