• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Portal

Shay A

Hi,
A question, more a discussion maybe, is it possoble to use a sheet as a portal? Maybe to put a table of contents that will hyperlinks to other sheets and files.

I would love to hear your thoghts and recommendations. Especially about connecting to other excel foles from the portal.

TY

It's possible. Though if file is to be shared over network, it can get tricky depending on network setup.

If your IT sets up network shared folder/drive via GPO script, then it's fairly simple since drive letter will be shared within network.

Otherwise, you'd need to use \\IP\SharedFolder\ instead of simple drive letter. To ensure that it works on different computer within the network.

Ex: "\\172.10.11.1\Shared\" instead of just "Y:\"

Personally, I manage various folder/file location via Favorites in Explorer menu.

We do have a shared drive. I want that the portal will open fiels only located in that shared drive. Can I use hyperlinks to trigger opening other workbooks?

TY

Hi,
Is it possible to have the hyperlink to bring me to other, existing workbook, and close the one I am currently in?

TY!

Portal book can remain open. Since majority of time it does not need editing (only when new link needs to be added), no issue with multiple user having it open.

Other workbooks opened from link, close it as needed.

You use the word portal but I have used this for a number of years, saves a lot of searching in folders, It is just a table of work books with a hyperlink, the hyperlink is formed when the work book is first saved, just open up the desk top short cut to the table of contents and click on any hyperlink to open the work book you need, I have another column in the table with a brief description of the work book, saves a lot of time

Back