• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

PowerView : Avoid refresh of datamodel

Lolo

Hello,

Before power pivot, I was able to protect my sheets to avoid refresh of pivot tables.
But now I have created a POWER VIEW sheet, seems it is not possible to avoid the right click refresh in the power view sheet...

I know that in term of publish and use, I would use the sharepoint and PowerPivots capabilities, but, it is not allowed in our company.
So I want to use power pivot in the Excel client, but with a minimum of security, and avoid that user try to refresh the datamodel from powerview sheet.

Seems it is not possible :(
Do you have any experience on this ?
Thank you.

Last edited:
I don't get it. The whole point of Power suite (View, Pivot, Query) is to allow direct (read only) access to the database for realtime/scheduled update.

If this isn't desired. You can do one of following...

1. Copy PivotTable to new workbook. Kill connection. Note that this will disable any modification to PivotTable and will only display static result.

2. Load data to sheet (via MSQuery, PowerQuery etc). Then use regular PivotTable for report. Save as new file and kill data connection (but keep PivotCache). Pivot will retain most functionality, but will not update with new info.

Or am I misunderstanding your need?

Perhaps i was not clear,
Currently in a power view sheet, you can right click and select refresh. This will refresh the data model.
I just want to disable this possibility for the user, when the workbook opens.

In a standard sheet, you can protect the sheet and restrict some action like disable the refresh of a pivot table for example.
But seems i can't protect a power sheet, so I don t know if my request is feasible or not

Thank you

Back