• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

prevent a macro enable wb being saved as the same name

I have a macro enabled workbook named "Instraid". I want the user to open this file and work on it, but when the user saves it (using any way of saving - save / save as / Control C etc and regardless of any path he chooses), he must be directed to use any name other than "Instraid'. In case the user does attempt to save it as "Instraid" he should be prompted "Instraid" is a reserved file name, please choose any other name to save).
May I request some expert to help me on this. Thanks in advance and best regards, Vilas Desai

Hi, Vilas Desai!
Why not setting a write password, otherwise it'd be opened as read only so no Save will work, only Save As and it can't overwrite itself?
Regards!

Dear Debraj, Thank you for this tip. I am not sure if this is what I actually want. Sorry if my communication earlier is unclear. I actually want the user to be able to open the application (or workbook) and use it without any passwords. But when he wants to save this workbook which is edited, I want the original workbook to be intact, so the user can only save it with a name different from the original workbook. If for example, the original wb is named Instraid, the user can open it and change it, but save it with a different name, other than Instraid, not only in the same directory but in any other directory of saving medium. Best regards, Vilas Desai

Hi, Vilas Desai!
That's how it'd work as I wrote early and for which Debraj(ex-Roy) posted that link. Are you experiencing any issue while trying to do that?
Regards!

Hi, Vilas Desai!
Why not setting a write password, otherwise it'd be opened as read only so no Save will work, only Save As and it can't overwrite itself?
Regards!

Dear SirJB7. Thank you for this reply. I did not quite understand your reply, sorry about my lack of understanding, but may I request you to refer my reply to Debraj just a couple of moments earlier on this thread.

Best regards
Vilas Desai

Hi, Vilas Desai!

Don't worry about it, maybe I didn't make myself clear. Try doing this:
a) Open your original workbook
b) File, Save as
c) Click on Tools button (at the left of Save), General Options
d) Type a password in 2nd text box: Write Password, tick Read Only Recommended, Ok
e) Confirm the password, Ok
f) Save, Close

This is your original workbook, protected against being overwritten. Now:
g) Open it
h) Users won't have the password so they'll have to click on Read Only
i) Do whatever you need
j) Try to save it, you won't be able
k) Try to save it as the same name, you won't be able

Check if that's what you want.

Regards!

Hi, Vilas Desai!
Glad you solved it. Thanks for your feedback and welcome back whenever needed or wanted.
Regards!

Dear Sir,

I am new to Chandoo.org/forum, and indeed what a great response it has been. While I am working on a project, I have traveled a long distance in understanding Excel, courtesy experts like you.
yes, I do need help in moving forward. I am trying some by my self, get some success and also get help from experts when it goes beyond my thinking. I will soon post a couple of more questions.
Best regards
Vilas Desai

Back