• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Quarter Reporting Determination

smc001

I have a report that is linked to cell from many department reports. On the department report there is a section per category: column E with projected total dollar amount ($20,000.00)for the entire year and colmn F has projected quarters (1,2,3,4) the projected totals would be used.

The quarters the amount would be used is typically filled out with these values 2 referenceing 2nd qtr or it could be split up 1,3,4 (Specify what quarter the projected dollar amount with be applied too).

I am trying to figure out the formula that would take the projected amount and based upon the quarter(s) in which the projected amount is used come up with a dollar amount on the main report in each section : column F Qt1, G Qt2, H Qt3, IQt4.

So if Projected dollar amount for 2011 $20,000.00 and it's indicated under quarters they will use this amount in qt 2,4... Then I would like the autopopulation of $20,000 div. 2 = F Qt1=0, G Qt2=$10,000.00, H Qt3=0, IQt4=$10,000.00

Help....I am very new to this world... Thank You in advance for your support.

One note, and then an answer. It's generally very bad practice to put multiple values in a single cell like this spreadsheet has with the quarter(s). It's best to avoid that.

That said, you'll need to use an additional column somewhere to count how many quarters it'll split the dollar amounts between. In that column (say, G), put this formula (it takes out spaces and commas--if you use the ampersand sign '&' or any other special characters, you'll need to adjust this further):

=LEN(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(F2," ",""),",",""))

Then, in each quarter cell (subsitute the '1' below for '2', '3' or '4' depending on the column):

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("1",F2)),0,E2/G2)

That is, look for the quarter in the quarters column and if you don't see it, make it a zero. Otherwise, split the total dollar amount between the number of quarters using the money.

Good luck. Follow up if you have questions.

If YOU are responsible for the input and can make sure that only the numbers 1 through 4, spaces and commas are used, then it's okay for now. Go ahead and try to apply the formulas.

You'll put the first formula in column 'H', the second in 'D'. For columns 'E', 'F' and 'G', you can add the second formula and change the '1' to a 2,3 or 4.

In H11 =LEN(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(C11," ",""),",",""))

In D11:G11 =IF(ISERROR(FIND("1",C11)),0,B11/H11)

I am still confused can I send you the report that I am doing via email? I think we are missing a piece... Please advise

In H11, paste this:

=LEN(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(C11," ",""),",",""))

In D11:

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("1",C11)),0,B11/H11)

In E11:

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("2",C11)),0,B11/H11)

In F11:

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("3",C11)),0,B11/H11)

In G11:

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("4",C11)),0,B11/H11)

Drag D11:H11 down to the end of your projects' range. Let us know if this doesn't work, then we can discuss the next step.

Let take a step back…

Master Report has all the links going to it from the Field department reports:

Column D10 (='Field Report Details Y11-12 (G)'!E30) Project Total: $3,000.00

Column E10: Q1, blank

Column F10: Q2, blank

Column G10: Q3, blank

Column H10: Q4, blank

Field Report Details are linked into the Master Report per each cell that applies: This Field Report Detail is a worksheet with the same workbook

On the Field Report this is where the data resides:

Column E30: Project Total : $3,000.00

Column F30: Projected Dollar Amount to be Spent on each Quarter:

The F30 cell is where the number: 1, 2, 3, 4. (Represents each quarter)

Example: 1,3,4. It can be broken up into any scenario...etc… In the Example they will use $3,000.00 towards Qt. 1,3,4. Which means divide the three qtr.’s up between $3,000.00 = $1,0000.00 assigned for each qtr.’s spending allowance.

On the master report under column E,F,G,H… The dollar value for that quarter should populate.

Does this make better sense… I am really new to all of this stuff and the thought process behind it is tricky. Let me know if you want me to send you the report so you can see it for yourself…

I really appreciate your patients and guidance, this is all very confusing

What's in Column A B & C of the master sheet? Is there a project number for each row beginning at 10 and ending at 29? And, does the master sheet have the quarters, or does this information come from the field reports?

Basically on the Master Report there's a summary section at the top, which rolls all the totals.

Beneath the Summary of Master Report there's the Details sections on the Master Report, which consist All project details. These details are broken up into 11 categories. Th

Under Column A: Named Line Item (Beneath this row a lists begins of 11 categories sections)

Column B: Line item number

Column C: Type of Purchase.

Is there a project number for each row beginning at 10 and ending at 29?... No

After the summary section the next group is the details that is broken up per department and per projects within the department. A total of 11 categories are being tracked per project of what expenses are occuring. There are as many as 100 rows under each of the 11 categories (hidden if blank)... For expansion of added purchases tracking.

11 Categories:

1.- General Expense-Office Supplies

100 rows

Total line:

2.- Communications

100 rows

Total line:

3.- Travel

100 rows

Total line:

4.- Training

100 rows

Total line:

5.- Consulting

100 rows

Total line:

6.- Software

100 rows

Total line:

7.- Hardware

100 rows

Total line:

8.- Maintenance

100 rows

Total line:

9.- Equipment

100 rows

Total line:

10-Temp Help

100 rows

Total line:

11-Data

100 rows

Total line:

All of the details roll-up into the summary...

Yes, the master sheet does have qtrs 1,2,3,4 broken out into separate columns...E,F,G,H on the summary section, as well this is under each of the project details section under the eleven categories, columns, F,G,H,I...

The Field reports(separate worksheet in workbook) feed the detail section on the Master Report section and the details section feed up to the summary section of Master report...

But as I said they are only inputing qter 1,2,3,4 number... Not the actual $1,000 for qtr.1 or $1,000 for qtr.2, etc...

Where do I put the formula? In the detail section of the Master Report, which will have a linked data from the Field Reports only showing Qtr 1,2,3,4? numbers instead of dollar value. Please advise...

Is there another alternative... I tried to signup for google docs and it would not let me becuase a repeatative age error keeps occuring... Tried 3 times.

Hi smc #1,

The official post on the matter: http://chandoo.org/forums/topic/posting-a-sample-workbook

Any file sharing site will do, just make sure it is publically shared and you have the right link for the file.

Another good site not mentioned in that post is box.net.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=8c4598bed3ef132a&resid=8C4598BED3EF132A!109&authkey=S16Crx6G9t8%24

I hope this is right... Thank You

Heres the other one if you sign in.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=8c4598bed3ef132a&resid=8C4598BED3EF132A!109

Hi smc,

Some errors:

Master Dept. Rept. / cells F74:K74 each have circular references. Instead of
Code:
=SUM($F$66:$F$74), etc. in those cells (which include themselves in the sum), put:

[code]=SUM(F$66:F$73)

in cell F74 (note last cell is now F$73 and the removal of some of the dollar signs) and copy to the other total cells G74:K74.  You could use the fill option instead of copying for the same result (grab the little handle/square on the lower right corner of the cell and drag to the right to duplicate the formula for the other cells).

Same problem on row 92 totals.  Same solution.

In the Field Report 1 Details worksheet, row 22, same problem, same solution.

In the Field Report 2 Details worksheet, row 22, same problem, same solution.

As to your question about formula for distributing the project amongst quarters, it looks to me like your data doesn't fit the simple concept of splitting 20,000 50/50 between two quarters, but that your projection is based on specific line item projects/units posting in various quarters.

If I am right, here are two solutions for you.  First a way to do it with your current spreadsheet design.  Second a recommendation for the future.

============

I. Create separate columns for Q1/2/3/4 in the Dept Spending details, take their sum, and in the Field Rept Summary Rollup, Create Q1/2/3/4 columns, use a formulas that refer to the sums for each dept; in your master report, in your Q1/2/3/4 columns,  refer to the Q1/2/3/4 budget items from Field Reprt 1 and 2.  This all if I understand your accounts right.

In your Dept Spending Detailed line items, to split those numbers out to the separate columns, Use a formula in the new Q1/2/3/4 cells that refers back to the Projected Qtr and Projected total cells to extract the total if the quarter matches the quarter of the column.

EXAMPLE FORMULAS. Cell references based on Field Report 2, Dept Spending Details, General Expense section, with line items starting from row 30, Projected Total in column E, and Quarter in column F.  Assumes the new Q1, Q2, Q3, and Q4 columns are columns G-J.

1. Less advanced version of formula. The formula references will stay valid with the addition of other rows and columns later:

G30 (Q1): [code]=IF($F30=1,$E30,"")

H30 (Q2): [code]=IF($F30=2,$E30,"")

I30 (Q3): =IF($F30=3,$E30,"")[/code]

J30 (Q4): =IF($F30=4,$E30,"")[/code]

Highlight G30:J30 and copy, then paste for all other line item rows on both Field Reports.

2. More advanced formula. The formula references will stay valid with the addition of other rows and columns later, as long as the 4 quarters are in the 4 columns exactly to the right of the column specifying the quarter (F at the moment). Paste the following in cell G30 (the new Q1 cell for line detail item 1.1:

=IF($F30=COLUMN(G30)-COLUMN($F30),$E30,"")[/code]

Then Fill or Copy/Paste that formula to all other Q1-Q4 cells for all dept details on both Field Reports. The formula should find the right number for the right column for everything.

----

In the total line for each Dept Spending Details section, create a SUM for each quarter. e.g. in Field Report 2, cell G38 (Q1) you could put =SUM(G$30:G37) and copy that formula to the other total for section 1 (row 38).

You now have Q1/2/3/4 numbers at every level and can build your summaries by adding the right numbers up.

Optionally hide the new Q1-4 columns when done building your formulas.

==============

II. For the future.

I'm years out of practice here, so don't take this advice as absolute, but --

When you plan your report, remember that there are two levels to things. There is the presentation level, and the raw data level. As with the example formulas above, you can see it's much easier to get your Q1, 2, 3, 4 totals, if you have Q1, 2, 3, 4 details at the levels that you need to summarize.

Another way to summarize all this data in a very flexible way would be to first create a "flat database" of all the items. Use 1 row for each detail item (at the finest grain of interest) and 1 column for each piece of info about that item. Department, Budget item, amount, etc. Often you can get the raw data you need straight from accounting or sales databases/reports, and use other Excel features to re-dice it into the reports you want.

You can use the Excel outlining feature to create an in-place report in the data table that will have subtotals and grand totals.

You can use Pivot tables and charts to create separate reports on the data that slice and dice it in different ways.

You can create query tables (more advanced) to analyze, combine, slice and dice the data in innumerable ways.

The way your reports are laid out now, there is a lot of room for error. If you can use the Outline, grouping, and subtotals features rather than the many individual tables of data there is less labor in maintenance and you can feel more confident in the aggregates (or even the details if you are hand entering them).

If you have your raw data in the file, you can either use the features above to summarize it, or you can use database and lookup functions to extract data, and conditional SUMs/COUNTs (SUMIF, SUMIFS, COUNTIF, COUNTIFS) or statistical functions to summarize data that meet certain conditions, and similarly, to do more sophisticated extraction, summary, analysis and calculations based on the data, you can use SUMPRODUCT and array formulas. Once comfortable with some of these types of formulas, you can get Excel to "do the work for you" and eliminate a lot of labor, quality control, and manual calculation time.

Hope this all helps :)

Asa

Thank you!!! I was able to use the first scenerio: I confused on the more advance version... I am so not a math/numbers person. The first scenerio I put it in the roll up department reports category details, which has been separated out with qtr sections. I just added your suggested qt column to the left of the qt1,2,3&4... all the categories link to the field reports. I placed the formula in the fields below within each category that was a lengthy job. I appreciate your assistant on my circular issues!

Concerned about the qt column (if it has more then 1 or 2 or 3 or 4.. Like 2,3 or 1,4 it doesn't work. I had plugged that in and the formula did not break out the cost into the proper columns in fact it put nothing in any columns...Suggestions?

As well securing this mess of a report... I have groups set-up for each dept project and the categories, when I protect my sheet it won't let the groups roll-up the data or roll-down...Any suggestions.

One more action item: I have a column on another report that is autofilled with numbers in sequential order: 200, 201, 202, 203, etc... How do I secure that so someone can't key the same number again??? Which has happened on So many questions so little time...Any and all input appreciated.

Aaah -- I didn't see the quarter columns with more than one quarter. If you want to split the amount evenly between quarters, that's what jeremymjp was trying to help you with.

I assume it's the field report detail sheets that have quarters listed this way for some line items, right? Not on any of the summary/rollups?

Assuming that is true, you should be able to use Jeremy's formulas in place of the ones I suggested for the detail lines. You may have to adjust the cell references.

Here are his formulas with words for cell references so you can drop the correct ones in.

He suggested adding a column that will contain the number of quarters (this sort of column is often referred to as a "helper column"). This is the formula for the helper column:

Code:
=LEN(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(list_of_quarters_cell," ",""),",",""))

Then in the Q1/1st quarter column:

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("1",list_of_quarters_cell)),0,amount_cell/number_of_quarters_cell)

Repeat the above for Q2, Q3, and Q4 columns replacing "1" with "2", "3", or "4" respectively.

Regarding securing the report, what do you mean by roll up or roll down?

You may want to make a new post for your last question, so you can can get sufficient time and detail in the response.

Asa

The field report which are linked to the detailed/summary roll-up report are where we are having the issue...

The field team will not separate out on there report they submit the complete break down of each quarter and dollar amount. Instead they liste the monies to use, which qtr column; listing 1,2 (combined) or maybe just a 4 (This represent the quarters they maybe using the monies.

Under the detailed summmary roll-up report I have the project monies column, which qtr column, and then a column for each qt1, qt2,qt3,qt4...So then the monies can be broken up and dropped into the proper qt1-qt4 column.

Example on field report: project monies: $100.00, qt: 1,3

They will then use $50 in qt1 and $50 in qt4. I need it to populate on the detailed summary roll-up report this into the approriate column qt1, qt2,qt3,qt4... The formula he provides only will do this successful if there is only one of the quarter referenced in the which qt column: If there are 1,2 quarters reference there nothing happens. :)

Okay, my formula for the helper column is nothing accept my linked information: This column is a linked from the field report providing the qtr#: my link in that cell looks like this: ='OPS SPR FY11-12 Nrthrn (G)'!F32..... Can I add the formula too it and if so how????? Formula for the helper column:

=LEN(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(list_of_quarters_cell," ",""),",",""))----Here ='OPS SPR FY11-12 Nrthrn (G)'!F32 or at the beginning and do I separate with comma? or what?

Existing State of Report: In each of the quarter columns I went with the first option that is simplistic, but alot of work to add because I could not get the advance method you advised to work... I was just tickled/happy I got something working... (If you really want me to change this because it will provide the greatest stability for the report I will do so, because I don't like doing things half-_ _ _....

I have at least have to change or edit 6,000 rows of data x 5 columns (1)helper column and (2) qt1,(3)qt2,(4)qt3,(5) qt4)

How would you suggest I accomplish this in the quickest most efficient way?... It's taken me 3 days to get the one formula method accomplished... I am very excel challenged and do not know the fancy shortcuts, unfortunetly me. All see are formulas in my sleep. LOL

Please advise!!! Thank you for all your input!!!

Unfortunately, I think it's those 3 days worth of formula-entry that need to be replaced.

We should be able to work out a way for you to get the formulas entered more quickly than that. Perhaps a macro.

Yeah, I hate it when I start seeing formulas in my sleep!!

There are some missing links in my understanding of what you're doing... I want to look at your file again but for some reason after re-downloading it, it isn't opening properly. It's just showing one sheet now with a lot of broken formula references.. don't know if it's corrupt or if my computer is acting up with your giant file at the moment....

I will upload an example file for you a little later with jeremy's formula, and see if that clears up how to implement it.

His formula could benefit from the same technique I used in the "more advanced formula" too, but there isn't really any stabiltity impact, it simply reduces everything to one formula that can be copied to all 4 quarters, rather than 4 formulas for each row.. possibly a little easier to avoid errors in the formula since it automatically insures it is grabbing the quarter info for whatever column it's in. I only showed both methods as an opportunity to learn more than one way to do it.

I'll put both jeremy's unmolested formula and a version that detects the quarter automatically in my example file.

Asa

See if this helps clarify.

Quarter Reporting Split Amounts Example.xlsx

You talk about having the helper column linking to the field reports... this is some kind of misunderstanding. The "helper column" is only needed at the detail level, not the summary level, based on my understanding of your worksheets. The helper column has the number of quarters that the amount must be divided by, and is referenced by Jeremy's formula. Both Jeremy's Q1-Q2-Q3-Q4 formula and his helper column formula are needed on sheets where only the amount and the list of quarters exist -- since the purpose of these formulas is to split the amount out by quarter. I think this is only on your Field Reports, but only you really understand your worksheets.

In the examples attached, I included a couple alternative formulas with explanations. They are all fine. Mine are a little more complicated to understand, and being able to understand the formulas in your spreadsheet is valuable for if you need to change something. Decide for yourself what you are comfortable with or need.

If the relevant column letters are the same, you can just copy/paste the examples formulas to your spreadsheet and it should work.

Asa

Back