• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Representing EMOJIs on Charts

SHMAHER

I have rows for Months and columns for say employee criteria like Happiness and Motivation. I have one of 3 values for the criteria being emojis representing Happy, Neutral and Sad. These are represented using Wingdings font.

How do I draw a trend chart (line chart) showing the varying emotions across months?

Please help.

I would do a conditional line chart. Use 3 different series, one for each emotion. Use formulas to figure out which data points belong in each series, something like

=IF(Emoji = "Happy", 3, NA())

So, you'll get a table that might look like this:

upload_2017-6-22_7-49-9.png

Then, after creating line chart, you can draw/create a picture of each emoji, copy it, and paste it onto the corresponding series, for a final chart that looks like

upload_2017-6-22_7-53-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-22_7-53-34.png
    upload_2017-6-22_7-53-34.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 6
Thanks Luke. I did not mention earlier that the Emojis are arrived at via a formula. Dependent on the formula result the Happy/Neutral/Sad symbol is derived.

The solution I am thinking of is that I create helper columns which read and replace the symbol with a number which I use for the chart.

Is there a solution without using the helper columns?

I would do a conditional line chart. Use 3 different series, one for each emotion. Use formulas to figure out which data points belong in each series, something like

=IF(Emoji = "Happy", 3, NA())

So, you'll get a table that might look like this:

View attachment 42738

Then, after creating line chart, you can draw/create a picture of each emoji, copy it, and paste it onto the corresponding series, for a final chart that looks like

View attachment 42741

Thanks Luke. I did not mention earlier that the Emojis are arrived at via a formula. Dependent on the formula result the Happy/Neutral/Sad symbol is derived.

The solution I am thinking of is that I create helper columns which read and replace the symbol with a number which I use for the chart.

Is there a solution without using the helper columns?

I suppose you could do a simple translate, where Happy =3, Neutral = 2, and Sad = 1? It'd be similar to the first formula I posted, just combine into a nested IF statement

=IF(CellReference = HappyEmoji, 3, IF(CellReference = SadEmoji, 1, 2))

Then make a basic line chart. Each data point will look the same, it won't be different like the one I posted.

Back