• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Search data in Column

Abhijeet

I have data in Column E i want Search that data in Column A if that match then put Yes in front in Column B how to do this please suggest me

Attachments

• Search.xlsx
    9 KB · Views: 6
Attached your sheet with the formula. If not matched, I have put "No". In case you do not want "no" then replace it with "" in the formula.

Raju

Attachments

• Search.xlsx
    9.4 KB · Views: 8
No its not work what i want this work if same number found in same row if that number in next row or that column E then also result i want Yes

Hi Abhijeet,

Try using in B2 and copy down this array formula.

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(1,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(E2,$A$2:$A$7)),1,0),0)),"YES","NO")

Enter with Ctrl+Shift+Enter and not just Enter.

Regards,

Hi Abhijeet ,

Try this array formula , entered using CTRL SHIFT ENTER :

=IF(OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($E$2:$E$7&" ",$A2&" "))),"Yes","No")

The above formula will not work if the search string / number is followed by a period "." in the text which is being searched in column A.

Narayan

Hi Narayan your given formula is work fine but if i have data like Word then this formula not work this formula working for Search the number.Please tell me for search the word or Number what ever in Column E

Narayan If this kind of Sentence 01.02.2014 fffg Batch S001.tif in Column E Search Batch S then not work.If i search with Batch then work

Try in B2 and copy down,

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Batch S",A2)),"Salary",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Batch T",A2)),"Travel","NA"))

And one question, does you column A data will always be in this format?

Regards,

In B2,
=LOOKUP(MID(A2,SEARCH("Batch ?",A2)+6,1),{"S","Salary";"T","Travel"})

In C2,
=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",REPT(" ",99)),SEARCH("Batch",SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",REPT(" ",99)))-198,100))*1

I
In B2,
=LOOKUP(MID(A2,SEARCH("Batch ?",A2)+6,1),{"S","Salary";"T","Travel"})

In C2,
=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",REPT(" ",99)),SEARCH("Batch",SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",REPT(" ",99)))-198,100))*1
If position is not fix then this formula not work

* From "Yes" output > Now you required "Salary / Travel".
* From Matching a number, > now you required Number before Batch.
* from a provide sample > Now your Format is not always same.
* base of search "BATCH", its position is now not fixed..

are you already started playing HOLI..
Is it working in your PROVIDED REQUIRED OUTPUT...!!!!

@Abhijeet

Abhijeet said:
If position is not fix then this formula not work

Whose position are you talking about?

Try these formula:

in B2: =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Batch S",A2)),"Salary",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Batch T",A2)),"Travel","NA"))

in C2: =TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",REPT(" ",LEN(A2))),SEARCH("Batch",SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",REPT(" ",LEN(A2))))-(2*LEN(A2)),2*LEN(A2)))+0

Just advise if any issue.

Regards,

Hi Abhijeet ,

Try this array formula , entered using CTRL SHIFT ENTER :

=IF(OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($E$2:$E$7&" ",$A2&" "))),"Yes","No")

The above formula will not work if the search string / number is followed by a period "." in the text which is being searched in column A.

Narayan
Hi Narayan This formula not work when more than one Number is in Statement If i search 5002 & statement 191 Z afgfg 5002 hjgh.xls then this formula not work

Hi Abhijeet ,

If your requirements are clear , can you upload a sample workbook including samples of all the possible data variations. Instead of pointing out the shortcomings of each formula one by one , if you upload your requirements first , whoever is posting a formula can first test it on all your samples.

If you cannot provide sample data , please specify the data characteristics :

1. How long will the data , search text be ?

2. Will either or both be only numeric , only alphabetic , or a mixture of the two ?

3. What should the output be if the searched for item is present in the data ?

4. Any other detail that you can provide.

Narayan

Back