• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Spreadsheet Slowing Down!

My Excel forecasting program has suddenly slowed down. When I change a formula, enter a number, or even enter a letter in a blank cell, it takes at least a minute to recalculate, when it once was almost instant. Calculation is set to automatic and there are no external connections. There are no Pivot Tables or Power Queries. I haven't changed any of the settings for this file. I did add a 2000-row database tab, but it didn't increase the size of the file too much, which stands at nearly 7MB in binary format (probably 12-13MB in normal .xlxs format). Array and SUMPRODUCT formulas elsewhere capture and manipulate this data.

What could be the cause of this calculation slowdown?

Paul

Paul

Slowness in normally caused by poor layout and poor choice of functions

You need to avoid Volatile functions where you can and also avoid referencing Columns or Rows ("C:C") or ("1:1") as unless you have 1048576 rows of data you are checking data that you don't need to

Can you save the file somewhere, Dropbox etc, for us to look at?

More than likely you have volatile functions in your spreadsheet - see http://chandoo.org/wp/2014/03/03/handle-volatile-functions-like-they-are-dynamite/

That should explain it ....

I did a search for the volatile functions you listed, and sure enough, OFFSET is in there! And, since this was used in the last tab I created, it all made sense. I had a large, complex file with a volatile function. Surprisingly, it didn't take too many OFFSET formulas to bog speed way, way down. Thank so much!
Paul

Paul

You need to avoid Volatile functions where you can and also avoid referencing Columns or Rows ("C:C") or ("1:1") as unless you have 1048576 rows of data you are checking data that you don't need to

Surer enough, it was the OFFSET formula I recently put in that caused all the trouble. Here's the culprit: =SUMPRODUCT(B10:B50,OFFSET(Assumptions,,MATCH(B1,Dates,0)-1,,1))

The formula references a range (B10:B50) and then finds the matching range (Assumptions) by matching the date in cell B1. Is there a simple way to get rid of the OFFSET here?

Hi ,

Volatile functions by themselves will not cause a problem , unless :

1. There are many of them , and many means hundreds or thousands

2. The volatile functions / formulae are in turn referenced by many other formulae , which may not themselves be volatile.

Can you give more details about how many such formulae you have in your worksheet ?

What is the definition of the named range Assumptions ?

As far as replacing the OFFSET function is concerned , the following formula will return the same result as the OFFSET function :

=INDEX(Assumptions,,MATCH(B1,Dates,0))

Narayan

Hi ,

2. The volatile functions / formulae are in turn referenced by many other formulae , which may not themselves be volatile.

Can you give more details about how many such formulae you have in your worksheet ?

What is the definition of the named range Assumptions ?

As far as replacing the OFFSET function is concerned , the following formula will return the same result as the OFFSET function :

=INDEX(Assumptions,,MATCH(B1,Dates,0))

Narayan

I had probably 250+ OFFSET function cells in there. I copied and pasted over them with values to see if the problem would go away, and it did. Now I'm replacing OFFSET with the INDEX fix you supplied. Thank you!
Paul

@NARAYANK991 Note that one offset formula alone can cause issues, if it is at the head of a large-enough dependency tree, as per my article at http://chandoo.org/wp/2014/03/03/handle-volatile-functions-like-they-are-dynamite/
Hi Jeff ,

I think I have covered that in point 2 of my comment ?

Narayan

Hi Jeff ,

I think I have covered that in point 2 of my comment ?

Narayan

You did indeed cover it. I replaced all of the OFFSET formulas with INDEX. There are now no volatile functions anywhere in the workbook. I now find that a number entered in any tab is almost automatic, but the exception is my assumptions tab, in which you enter forecast inputs. It's pretty slow, if not as bad as before. Can I assume that this is because there are numerous calculations depending on those forecast inputs? I also find that although I can otherwise enter and copy numbers without delay, cut and paste takes a long time, as does inserting rows. What do you think might be the cause of that?
Paul

Hi Paul ,

Sorry , but off-hand I cannot think of any reason why data entry is fast while inserting rows takes time , unless a lot of recalculation happens when a row insert is done. But why would you want to do this time and again ?

Can you not work in Manual Recalculation mode , and do a full calculation with CTRL ALT F9 once all your operations are completed ?

Narayan

If you insert rows/columns in between existing data does the work sheet not have to recalculate all data in the sheet as there has been formula/function movement in the data.

You did indeed cover it. I replaced all of the OFFSET formulas with INDEX. There are now no volatile functions anywhere in the workbook. I now find that a number entered in any tab is almost automatic, but the exception is my assumptions tab, in which you enter forecast inputs. It's pretty slow, if not as bad as before. Can I assume that this is because there are numerous calculations depending on those forecast inputs? I also find that although I can otherwise enter and copy numbers without delay, cut and paste takes a long time, as does inserting rows. What do you think might be the cause of that?
Paul

Do you have links to external files which are on a network drive, by any chance? What else does you Assumptions Tab have on it? Have you checked for the Hui reference noted above - referencing entire columns/rows?

Hi Paul ,

Sorry , but off-hand I cannot think of any reason why data entry is fast while inserting rows takes time , unless a lot of recalculation happens when a row insert is done. But why would you want to do this time and again ?

Can you not work in Manual Recalculation mode , and do a full calculation with CTRL ALT F9 once all your operations are completed ?

Narayan
Yes, row insertion is a rare event and my users won't be able to do it anyway due to protection restrictions. My question was aimed at assessing if it's reasonable for a spreadsheet to take a while to recalculate if it lacks volatile functions but is otherwise large and very interdependent.

Paul

I don't have functions that reference columns or rows, but I do have numerous named ranges from which SUMPRODUCT formulas in arrays are used to extract numbers from database sheets in the workbook. There are no external references, though.

Do you have links to external files which are on a network drive, by any chance? What else does you Assumptions Tab have on it? Have you checked for the Hui reference noted above - referencing entire columns/rows?
David,
There are no links to external files, and no formulas referencing entire rows or columns. The Assumptions tab has hundreds of items (expenses, rates, revenues, balance sheet, capital spending) in which users enter their assumptions for the future. For example, salaries are expected to increase by 3% in June 2017, or volume is forecast to rise 1% in October 2016, and so forth.

I restarted but it had no effect. Here's a sample formula, typical of thousands in my workbook:
{IF(OR((Dates=BF5)*Data_Load_Complete),SUMPRODUCT((Dates=BF5)*Medicare_Discharges),"NR ")}

The formula finds where the data for month BF5 is complete (I used a data validation "yes/no" for this). If it's complete and final, it uses the number of Medicare discharges from a data tab in the same file; if not complete, it enters NR (for Not Reported).

Hi Paul ,

See the uploaded file. It follows the instructions given in the link I posted earlier , as follows :

1. It has a worksheet tab named ExecutionTimes , with the named headers in A1 and B1 ; you can copy this tab into your workbook.

2. It has a standard code module named Optimize ; you can copy this module into your workbook.

Once the above are done , run the macro named timeallsheets ; remember , it will take some time to complete execution.

Narayan

Attachments

• optimizeExample.xlsm
    52.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Hi Paul ,

See the uploaded file. It follows the instructions given in the link I posted earlier , as follows :

1. It has a worksheet tab named ExecutionTimes , with the named headers in A1 and B1 ; you can copy this tab into your workbook.

2. It has a standard code module named Optimize ; you can copy this tab into your workbook.

Once the above are done , run the macro named timeallsheets ; remember , it will take some time to complete execution.

Narayan
Thank you for this, but I ran into two problems:
  1. I cannot right-click on a sheet tab and do anything; the menu doesn't come up anymore. I don't know what's causing this.
  2. I found Optimize, but I don't know how to copy this tab into my workbook (my VBA knowledge is limited to Record Macro). Right-clicking on Optimize didn't produce a Copy command.

Hi ,

For the first problem , I am not able to suggest a solution.

For the second , just select the Optimize module and drag it into your workbook when your workbook is open. Excel will do the copy correctly.

Narayan

Hi Paul ,

2. It has a standard code module named Optimize ; you can copy this tab into your workbook.

Narayan
Thank you for this, but I ran into two problems:
  1. I cannot right-click on a sheet tab and do anything; the menu doesn't come up anymore. I don't know what's causing this.
  2. I found Optimize, but I don't know how to
    Hi ,

For the second , just select the Optimize module and drag it into your workbook when your workbook is open. Excel will do the copy correctly.

Narayan

copy this tab into my workbook (my VBA knowledge is limited to Record Macro). Right-clicking on Optimize didn't produce a Copy command.
Hi ,

Narayan

Back