• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Summing Highest Values

fixthis

Hi,

Looking for shorter formula to sum the highest values for each part description type.

This formula does work:

Code:
=SUM(MAX(IF(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH("CM2000",$C$3:$C$14)),$F$3:$F$14)),MAX(IF(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH("CM4000",$C$3:$C$14)),$F$3:$F$14)),MAX(IF(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH("CM5077",$C$3:$C$14)),$F$3:$F$14)))

Running Excel 2010 on Windows 7.

Attachments

• Part Factor Summing of Max Values.xlsx
    14 KB · Views: 23
Thank you Nebu for your pivot solution. However, I am looking for a formula approach as the actual spreadsheet is setup a bit different and I need the sum in the one cell and no helper columns.

Hi:

I don't think there is any other straight forward way of doing this without using helper column.

Thanks

Fortunate timing, since you can adapt Lori's excellent set-up (given recently here: http://chandoo.org/forum/threads/find-the-minimum-every-line-and-summarize.31427/#post-187323), viz, array formula**:

=SUM(LARGE($F$3:$F$14,MOD(LARGE({1,2,3}*10^6+RANK(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH({"CM2000","CM4000","CM5077"},$C$3:$C$14)),$F$3:$F$14),$F$3:$F$14),{1,2,3}*ROWS($F$3:$F$14)),10^6)))

I (rather lazily) used the static {1,2,3} (representing the fact that there are 3 search criteria, i.e. "CM2000","CM4000" and "CM5077") here. This can of course be replaced with a dynamic equivalent should the number of search criteria be a variable.

Regards

Last edited:
Just for fun.

Using CUBE functions.

First add data range to data model via PowerQuery/MS Query.
Create PivotTable and add appropriate measures, then convert to OLAP and delete. This will leave measures in Data Model but no physical PivotTable.

Enter in B18:
=CUBESET("ThisWorkbookDataModel","[Table1].[Part_List].children","Part_List",2,"[Table1].[Factor]")

B19 & Drag down:
=CUBERANKEDMEMBER("ThisWorkbookDataModel",$B$18,ROW(A1))

F18:
=CUBEMEMBER("ThisWorkbookDataModel","[Measures].[Max of Factor]","Factor")

F19 & Drag Down:
=CUBEVALUE("ThisWorkbookDataModel",$F$18,B19)

See attached sample.

To do it in single cell. No need for PivotTable in this case.
See transformation done in "Agg1" query and the formula in F23.

Edit: Forgot to mention that "Part Description" column was split using M function. You can do it via GUI as well.

Attachments

• Part Factor Summing of Max Values (1).xlsx
    185.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Thank you XOR LX as your solution does work albeit a bit more complicated than I imagined. Not sure if it is more efficient than my original formula solution calling SEARCH/MAX three times.

Chihiro, very impressive solution but I apologize as your solution is way too complex for me. I have been using Excel for decades and never new about the CUBESET functions. I could not even find the named range "ThisWorkBookDataModel" or what ever it is called.

I guess I was still hoping for something in the neighborhood of this:

Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH({"CM2000","CM4000","CM5077"},$C$3:$C$14))+LARGE($F$3:$F$14,1))

Hi ,

Two points :

1. The parts list you have entered in the range B19:B21 is different from what you have entered in your formula ; this needs to be corrected.

It also illustrates the mistake in using constant values within a formula , since it is easier to find an inconsistency when data is in a worksheet cell , than when it is part of a formula.

2. If you extend your formula in its present version , imagine what it will look like when you have say a dozen items in your parts list !

From both considerations , it is better if a helper column is used , in the range C19:C21 , having the array-entered formula :

=MAX(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B19, $C$3:$C$14)), $F$3:$F$14))

entered in C19 and copied down.

The output formula merely sums these 3 figures.

Not only is this easy to understand for even a beginner , it is easily scalable to any number of parts in the parts list.

Narayan

Thank you XOR LX as your solution does work albeit a bit more complicated than I imagined. Not sure if it is more efficient than my original formula solution calling SEARCH/MAX three times.

Perhaps not, though the solution I gave is readily extendable to work for any number of search criteria, whereas that you give would require an additional clause for each.

Regards

Hi,

Try this formula,

=SUM(MAX(COUNTIF(B19,MID(C3:C14,1,6))*F3:F14),MAX(COUNTIF(B20,MID(C3:C14,1,6))*F3:F14),MAX(COUNTIF(B21,MID(C3:C14,1,6))*F3:F14))

array formula.

David

Hi to all!

Just for fun, with no code into PowerQuery is done.

Check file. Blessings!

Attachments

• Part Factor Summing of Max Values.xlsx
    21.9 KB · Views: 5
Back