• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

sumproduct zero value

Hi,

On Calculation sheet in I11 try below formula and copy down and across in yellow cells.

=IF($B11="Admissions",SUMPRODUCT(ADMIT_DISCH_DATA_TBL*('Admit-Disch Raw Data'!$B$5:$B$20928=$C$5&$C$6&$C11&$C$7)*(ADMIT_DISCH_YEAR_HEADER=I$10)),SUMPRODUCT(ADMIT_DISCH_DATA_TBL*('Admit-Disch Raw Data'!$B$5:$B$20928=$C$5&$C$6&$C11&$C$8)*(ADMIT_DISCH_YEAR_HEADER=I$10)))

Regards,

Hi ,

Since you have asked what the error was in your formula , here goes my attempt.

First , let me explain the general methodology of trouble shooting.

The first rule of troubleshooting is Divide and Conquer.

If you have a big problem , see how you can reduce it to one or more smaller problems.

In any formula , if the range is G5:BC20928 , there are 2 ways you can reduce the size of the range viz. reduce the number of rows or reduce the number of columns ; thus one way you can reduce it to a smaller size is by making it G5:BC20. It is clear that you cannot reduce the number of columns.

The next step in reducing comes if you can check each component of a formula on its own.

Here , the complete formula is :

=IF($B11="Admissions",(SUMPRODUCT(ADMIT_DISCH_DATA_TBL)*('Admit-Disch Raw Data'!$B$5:$B$20928=$C$5&$C$6&$C11&$C$7)*(ADMIT_DISCH_YEAR_HEADER=I$10)*1),SUMPRODUCT((ADMIT_DISCH_DATA_TBL)*('Admit-Disch Raw Data'!$B$5:$B$20928=$C$5&$C$6&$C11&$C$8)*(ADMIT_DISCH_YEAR_HEADER=I$10)*1))

Since the outer IF is not so essential , we can see if it can be removed. B11 does have the text Admissions , which means the section if the check is false will never be executed.

Thus , instead of the above formula , we can reduce out contextual formula to :

=(SUMPRODUCT(ADMIT_DISCH_DATA_TBL)*('Admit-Disch Raw Data'!$B$5:$B$20928=$C$5&$C$6&$C11&$C$7)*(ADMIT_DISCH_YEAR_HEADER=I$10)*1)

When you test this formula , in a separate cell , it will be immediately clear , as to what the problem is - a missing parenthesis !

I have highlighted the problem portion.

To rectify this , just eliminate the parenthesis , which is coloured RED.

The corrected formula , which may or may not be the correct formula , will be :

=IF($B11="Admissions",(SUMPRODUCT(ADMIT_DISCH_DATA_TBL*('Admit-Disch Raw Data'!$B$5:$B$20928=$C$5&$C$6&$C11&$C$7)*(ADMIT_DISCH_YEAR_HEADER=I$10)*1)),SUMPRODUCT((ADMIT_DISCH_DATA_TBL*('Admit-Disch Raw Data'!$B$5:$B$20928=$C$5&$C$6&$C11&$C$8)*(ADMIT_DISCH_YEAR_HEADER=I$10)*1)))

Narayan

Back